AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have been researching amps for my 2-ch bedroom system, currently running a pair of Aperion towers, but hoping soon to order a pair of Salk song towers or the Totem forests - not sure yet.

I have been running this off a Primaluna Prolouge 1 for now but I am looking to upgrade the amp. My source is a Squeezebox duet+ CA Dacmagic. Looking to upgrade the amplification.

Here are my choices for an integrated amp:

1. NAD M3 at 180wpc

2. Musical fidelity A5 at 250wpc

Both will allow me to stay below $2000.

On the other hand if I go with separates, I can buy a beefy amp now and take care of the PREAMP later, meanwhile using the SB+Dac as PRE.

my choices with the AMP are:

1. McCormack 125 @ 125wpc

2. McCormack 225 @ 225wpc

3. Parasound A21 @ 250wpc

4. Emotiva XPA-2 @ 250wpc

I will eventually spend more with the separates.... Would it be worth it?

Any thoughts or tidbits will be helpful!

Regards....

·
Registered
654 Posts
They all sound like fine choices. Personally, I would wait until you decide on speakers before choosing an amp to power them.

For one thing, the songtowers are more efficient than the forests so you may not need as much power for the Salk's.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I happened to have many hours of listening to the Totem Forests with a Halo A21 amp and this combo rocks. The A21's power really brings out the low frequency capabilities of the Forests. The sound stage was huge. I listened to the Forests on Mac mono blocks and thought the A21 had more low frequency punch.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep /forum/post/17063585

I happened to have many hours of listening to the Totem Forests with a Halo A21 amp and this combo rocks. The A21's power really brings out the low frequency capabilities of the Forests. The sound stage was huge. I listened to the Forests on Mac mono blocks and thought the A21 had more low frequency punch.

Agreed.

I'm running a Parasound Halo A21 stereo amp for my front L/R towers and have been totally pleased with it. It does run mildly warm, so be sure that it isn't in a totally closed in space. Other than that: no glitches, neutral sound for a solid state amp (whatever the player and/or pre do will get through to the speakers), very convenient, and not too heavy (at 60 lb).

To the OP, IMO, you might call up www.audioadvisor.com (the sole authorized on-line dealer; 800 942-0220) and ask if they have a factory refurb or expect to get one anytime soon. That will save you some good money and you still get a full warranty from Parasound.
Or an open box or demo unit.

And if you're not happy with it, AA has an easy 30 day return period (shipping charges are non-refundable).

Cheers

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AA does have some great deals on the A21. Very alluring, but so is the emotiva XPA-2 deal right now. Also thinking about the Nuforce AVP-17 pre-amp, which seems like a great deal.

I am more or less certain that I am going with the Salk STs for now, but also sure that I will be upgrading to the HT2/HT3 in 1-2years time; and those will require substantially more power.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/17067612

What, the walmart radio clock not powerful enuff to wake u up?

Don't ever get married, the wifey will throw all that stuff out in short order and replace them with tasteful doyllies.

Its funny, I do actually have a cheap Walmart radio clock that I bought 6 years ago for $10, and it still works... dang thing!

OTOH, I do have a wife and she is so cool, she actually auditioned speakers for 5 hours with me on Saturday at different dealerships in a nearby town, we made a roadtrip out of....

As long as I stack these up nicely in a corner... she will be fine.

The MFW-15 that sits quite prominently in our HT, still irks her after 1 year!!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman /forum/post/17067572

AA does have some great deals on the A21. Very alluring, but so is the emotiva XPA-2 deal right now.

Order both of them. Keep the one you like best and return the other for a refund (which may or may not include shipping).

The only thing that counts is 1st hand experience.

FWIW, the stereo XPA-2 is 75 lb (well over my 60 lb upper limit), whereas my stereo Parasound Halo A21 is 60 lb.

Cheers

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/17068040

Order both of them. Keep the one you like best and return the other for a refund (which may or may not include shipping).

The only thing that counts is 1st hand experience.

FWIW, the stereo XPA-2 is 75 lb (well over my 60 lb upper limit), whereas my stereo Parasound Halo A21 is 60 lb.

Cheers

Thats an interesting idea!

Why do you have a 60lb upper limit? I thought when it came to amps, heavier was better, usually...

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman /forum/post/16988323

I will eventually spend more with the separates.... Would it be worth it?

Any thoughts or tidbits will be helpful!

Regards....

My only regret in saving money with an integrated is that I can't add EQ in-line if I ever wanted. Not a big deal right now, as I've spent too much money in the last couple of years, but that's just FWIW. I could* just use my integrated as a pre/pro, and then add an amp, but then why not just get the separates to begin with.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman /forum/post/17068457

Why do you have a 60lb upper limit?

1st hand experience.

I have a decent Sherwood Newcastle (A75?) 7 channel amp that weighs in at something like 70.5 lb and I dread having to move it.

I have a bad habit of moving stuff around with some frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocrapman /forum/post/17068457

I thought when it came to amps, heavier was better, usually...

Generally true when it comes to either solid state (SS) class A/B amps or SS class A amps. Even more true of decent tube amps!

FWIW my two HT amps are a fairly new Parasound Halo A21 (60 lb, 2 channel) and an old Proceed Amp-3 (50 lb, 3 channel).

Cheers

·
Registered
1,439 Posts

·
Registered
1,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostenmeat /forum/post/17068885

My only regret in saving money with an integrated is that I can't add EQ in-line if I ever wanted. Not a big deal right now, as I've spent too much money in the last couple of years...

Not sure what you mean.

FWIW, it is possible to do bass management by using a 30 band EQ on the LFE output (to the sub(s)); that can be done for about $100 with an additional $50 for a RS (Radio Shack) SPL meter so that you can check where bass peaks (say below 300 Hz) are at.

That way you don't screw up the important mids and highs with any further digital processing.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/17070254

Not sure what you mean.

FWIW, it is possible to do bass management by using a 30 band EQ on the LFE output (to the sub(s)); that can be done for about $100 with an additional $50 for a RS (Radio Shack) SPL meter so that you can check where bass peaks (say below 300 Hz) are at.

Well, since we're talking about integrateds, I don't think there's going to be any LFE.

Quote:
That way you don't screw up the important mids and highs with any further digital processing.

Cheers

If you consider RC to not be beneficial, then what I can say? Yes, I already have hundreds of lbs of OC 705 and mineral wool treatments. But, I'm also a big fan of technologies like ARC, Audyssey, Trinnov and the like.

or even for bass mgmt with stereo subs, something much more affordable like Behringer DCX2496

You'll need separates to use any of the above.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherSongs /forum/post/17070254

Not sure what you mean.

Cheers

Could you please elaborate? I am very interested and curious!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.