AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear members,

I have been looking to upgrade the speakers in my 2 channel system for quite some time now. I currently own the PSB T65, but personally find them too sharp on the highs. When I turn up the volume it is as though it stings my ears on the high piano notes and female vocals. Very frustrating

I mostly listen to music, with the occasional movie every once in a while.

Music genre ranges from Classical and Piano works (Read Chopin ++), all the way to house music packed with bass.

My Setup:

* Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player

* Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amplifier

* 2x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks

* Musical Fidelity V-Magic DAC

These are the speakers I have nailed it down to (price quoted per pair):

* Magneplanar 1.7 ~ $1,995

* Salk Sound SongTower QWT - $1895

* PSB Speakers Imagine T ~ $2,000

* Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v5 ~ $2,000

* Martin Logan Source ~ $2,000

* Emotiva ERT 8.3 ~ $1,500

* B&W CM9 ~ $3,000 / CM8 ~ $2,000

I auditioned the CM9 today, but did not feel they lived up to their price.

I have been incredibly curious about the Magneplanar 1.7 (amazing reviews all over the web).

Thank you very much in advance for any input.

M

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] /forum/post/19585804

Dear members,

I have been looking to upgrade the speakers in my 2 channel system for quite some time now. I currently own the PSB T65, but personally find them too sharp on the highs. When I turn up the volume it is as though it stings my ears on the high piano notes and female vocals. Very frustrating

I mostly listen to music, with the occasional movie every once in a while.

Music genre ranges from Classical and Piano works (Read Chopin ++), all the way to house music packed with bass.

My Setup:

* Emotiva ERC-1 CD Player

* Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amplifier

* 2x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks

* Musical Fidelity V-Magic DAC

These are the speakers I have nailed it down to (price quoted per pair):

* Magneplanar 1.7 ~ $1,995

* Salk Sound SongTower QWT - $1895

* PSB Speakers Imagine T ~ $2,000

* Paradigm Reference Studio 60 v5 ~ $2,000

* Martin Logan Source ~ $2,000

* Emotiva ERT 8.3 ~ $1,500

* B&W CM9 ~ $3,000 / CM8 ~ $2,000

I auditioned the CM9 today, but did not feel they lived up to their price.

I have been incredibly curious about the Magneplanar 1.7 (amazing reviews all over the web).

Thank you very much in advance for any input.

M

Magnepans are a great choice if you can properly stage them. Most of the speakers listed are good and really comes down to personal preference. Although requiring stands, take a look at the Usher BE-718 Tiny Dancer , a very musical speaker with good low end extension.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
At that level it's personal taste. I happen to love my Song Towers but mine have the ribbon tweeter upgrade and I can't speak for the QWT. I do think in this case you're getting a lot of bang for the buck. But your taste may be different from mine.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your input. The JBL mentioned seem to be made for movie sound reproduction. Since my goal is to create the best possible 2 ch. music system (within my budget), this fact made me slightly skeptical about that speaker. Moreover, I could not find a single review of it, so it might not be easy to audition them.

I will try to see if I can audition the rest of the speakers tomorrow. I won't be going for the B&W.

If anyone has heard any of these speakers with a wide range of music (classical to more bass filled genres like house), i would be incredibly intereated in hearing your opinion on how it performs.

Thanks again,

M

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark russ /forum/post/19587752

The new Ascend tower should be on your short list too.

All the Ascend speakers looks like they are below $1,000 per pair. Am I looking at the wrong page? Emotiva is also an internet-direct company with exceptional value, but their reference tower is $1,500. Not that value and price is always completely correlated, but are you sure the Ascend's can compare in this price range?

Btw, i could not find a new tower on their page? Only the new Sierra-1 monitor. Is it not posted yet?

M

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
I like the speakers that I've heard in the initial post (all but the ID brands). I would add Avalon Acoustics NP Evolution, Dali Ikon, Revel Concerta and Monitor Audio RX6 to the audition list, btw, I prefer the CM7 or 8 to the 9.

Ron

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will the Magnepan perform poorly if you move away from the sweet-spot (main listening position)? In other words, if I host a social event where people walk around and mingle, will it sound bad to 80% of the people? If that is the case then these speakers might not be the best fit.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/19588242

I like the speakers that I've heard in the initial post (all but the ID brands). I would add Avalon Acoustics NP Evolution, Dali Ikon, Revel Concerta and Monitor Audio RX6 to the audition list, btw, I prefer the CM7 or 8 to the 9.

Ron

Have you heard the ERT 8.3? They got great reviews, and I thought they might fit well with all my Emotiva gear.

Edit: Oh, i just realized that you meant you have not heard the ID brands, rather than that you did not like them. Sorry....

·
Registered
32 Posts
If full spectrum sound at social events is important to you, then an omnipolar speaker like the Mirage OMD 15's, available at a steal of a price from Vanns, would be great. No loss of frequency response when wakiing around. However, planer speakers are known for being very directional and a much smaller sweet spot, especially Maggies. They sound ok when standing up, but the high frequncy sound rolls off significantly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Being the proud new owner of the B&W CM8s, I would have to say they are a spectacular set of speakers. If aesthetics are important to you (it is a living room, after all), then the CM8s (minus grilles) would be fantastic. Sound performance is stellar, especially if you're in the right spot.

Do keep in mind that you're talking to a very bias (but happy!) owner, so do investigate the other options. But I just wanted to tell you that you can't go wrong with them.