AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a used set of Martin Logan Montage speakers.

I currently have them running off of a Marantz SR6001 and it is good enough but would like some advice on a stand alone amp for these.

First quesiton: I was thinking about getting an old Marantz Model 250 or Model 170 off of ebay and give that a try on these speakers. Thoughts?

Second question: can anyone suggest a few a sub $1000 priced modern amp that would do well at driving these 5 Ohm speakers. I'm willing to go to the used market to get it under my price.

I listen primarily to music (Blues, Bluegrass, Classic Rock, Alternative, indie) with a little HT and gaming thrown in.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct 2 channel stereo, just looking to power the 2 front montages for now, HT is not that big of a deal for me so I will run the center and surrounds off the receiver for now.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Emotiva has the XPA-2 for $800 (250 wpc @ 8 ohm and 500 wpc @4 ohm).

They should handle the 5 ohm MLs just fine.

If you can deal with the Ugly and are willing to do something about the fans (either modding or replacing them to make them quieter/silent). Pro amps like Behringer offer even more power for less money than any consumer product and generally do a better job of dealing with very low impedance dips.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh not loud, I have 2 kids another on the way. My listing room is set off from the rest of the house so I can turn it up a bit from time to time but no loud by most people's standards.

I like to listen for long periods of time so I'm trying to get the best quality sound for my budget possible. People on these boards talk about "listening fatigue" and I have experienced that for years with cheap equipment, just never knew how to articulate it but I don't like it.

SPL is not really a factor even for my occasional HT or gaming.

I hate to admit it but, What I really want to do is beat or at least match the sound quality my brother-in-law is getting from his ML Preface running through a Denon 910W he got at BB Magnolia. I'm hoping a dedicated

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPnBobcats /forum/post/17013801

Emotiva has the XPA-2 for $800 (250 wpc @ 8 ohm and 500 wpc @4 ohm).

Pro amps like Behringer offer even more power for less money than any consumer product and generally do a better job of dealing with very low impedance dips.

You know I "play" guitar and was wondering if the pro stuff Guitar Center sold would work for the living room. I spend some time at guitarcenter.com and keep seeing these amps for 200-500 bucks with ridiculous specs and keep saying to myself that they must not be as good as sound quality I would get from a similarly priced and Adcom (which seem to be all over Ebay and Audiogon) or other equivalent.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorum /forum/post/17016850

You know I "play" guitar and was wondering if the pro stuff Guitar Center sold would work for the living room. I spend some time at guitarcenter.com and keep seeing these amps for 200-500 bucks with ridiculous specs and keep saying to myself that they must not be as good as sound quality I would get from a similarly priced and Adcom (which seem to be all over Ebay and Audiogon) or other equivalent.

They do indeed work just fine and if there were issues with SQ would they be used in recording studios?

The major drawback is the fans the pro amps have, but they can be replaced with quieter ones or modded, if you are not adverse to a bit of soldering.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nascar_984 might be right. The sound quality difference may be just the different speakers. It does not sound like you push the volume that loud. If you do buy an amp, make sure they have an easy return policy in case you find the amp didn't change anything.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorum /forum/post/17016564

Oh not loud, I have 2 kids another on the way. My listing room is set off from the rest of the house so I can turn it up a bit from time to time but no loud by most people's standards.

I like to listen for long periods of time so I'm trying to get the best quality sound for my budget possible. People on these boards talk about "listening fatigue" and I have experienced that for years with cheap equipment, just never knew how to articulate it but I don't like it.

SPL is not really a factor even for my occasional HT or gaming.

I hate to admit it but, What I really want to do is beat or at least match the sound quality my brother-in-law is getting from his ML Preface running through a Denon 910W he got at BB Magnolia. I'm hoping a dedicated

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.