AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dedicated 2 channel room 14x12x8. Whats the word on front wall treatment?

I have a 3x5 bay window in the middle of the front wall (in-between speakers). I have 2x4x2" panels on either side of the window, 2" blinds with thin drapes over window. Thinking about adding an additional acoustic panel over window, or possibly an acoustic blanket over window.

That would be a total of (2) 2x4x2" panels and either an additional panel 3x5' or blanket 3x5' covering the 3x5' window. Does this sound like overtreatment for a 12' long wall or am I close?

For reference, I have (2) 2x4x2" panels on either side wall (14' wall) covering 1st and 2nd reflections with (2) more panels on the back wall, 3 feet behind listening chair.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not knowing what your speakers are it is tough to give an acurate assessment, but have you got the corners treated (bass trapping) ?

I'd suggest you come over to www.audiocircle.com and check out the 'acoustic circle' sub-forum, tons of good info there.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speakers are Infinity Renaissance 90. They are a somewhat di-pole plannar driver.

Here's more info on the speakers:

http://www.infinity-classics.de/infi...enaissance.htm

I have built-in bass trap columns from floor to ceiling in each forward corner 18x15".

Speakers are 7'6" apart and listening position is 8' away. Speakers are 38" from front wall.

Here is a picture:

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Seems like you have done quite a bit already!

I might look towards a couple panels on the ceiling first reflections. Have you measured the room yet (taken a waterfall plot??) That might help you to better visualize what problems you have left. I might conjecture that you could still use more bass trapping in the ceiling/side wall corners, perhaps the rear corners as well.

The only time I have had terrible time with windows was when they were at first reflection points. It being centered in the room's front may not be too much of a problem, at least compared to the bass which is always a problem.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My plans are also to add another 2x4x2" panel on the side walls closer to the pillar for a total of three on each side. It seems like I have allot of slap echo on the empty wall from behind the speaker to the column. Probably space the panel about 6" from the column (to match the distance from front wall panel to column) and bring the existing panels back towards the listener position to try to equal out the sides a bit.

As far as the columns...the right column was already there as it houses AC ducting for downstairs. I reconstructed the column to work as a bass trap and added the left column so both sides are symmetrical. Would rather have not had them, but had no choice so decided to make them as acoustically functional as possible.

·
Registered
765 Posts
You can learn a lot about your room easily and cheaply by playing pink noise and walking around the room listening very carefully for reflections and changes in volume and timbre.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Have you read any articles on room acoustics? If not I suggest you do so. I don't know how big a deal it is for you but one acoustic no-no is to avoid room dimensions that are all equally divisible, in your case divisible by multiples of 2. Anyway, in general you want to eliminate first (direct) reflections on the sidewalls, ceiling and floor. Best way to find the spot is to use a mirror against the wall, ceiling and move it until it reflects the speaker from the listening position. The floor appears carpeted so that should be okay there. There is also a direct reflection from the wall behind the speakers and off the back wall and you might want to spot some absorption there also. You should consider diffusion panels or something equivalent in other parts of the room. Some acoustic material manufacturers offer free or low-cost technical advice on room treatment so you might want to discuss your room with their experts. In case I forgot to mention it - you have a great looking room there. Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts