AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a lob foryou audio experts… I have an irritatingproblem with my newer Yamaha 867 receiver. I do have the “Sound effects” set to Straight on the receiver.

Any audio that is2-channel (no matter what input I use) the voices are overly bass emphasized. Too much of the voice is being sent to thesub. Dolby Digital quality and above audiosounds fine. What the heck could be causingthis???

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
All depends on your crossover settings. If you find there is high frequencies sent to the sub, then you need to use a lower universal crossover. ie for myself in the 2 channel hifi, I use 60hz crossover on the sub, 60hz for the L/R

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You use the filter on your sub as well as the avr crossover?
For the home theatre the subs own crossover is disabled. However my AV pre has a subwoofer crossover, which I set to the same as the L/C/R ie if I were to use small 80hz for L/C/R then I'd use 80hz for the subwoofer. I don't like having the subwoofer set to 120hz find it's too high frequency.

For the Hifi I'll use the subs own crossover to bring up around the L/R (so sub and L/R receive full range) or if I use a high pass between the pre and power Outlaw ICBM-1 then I disable the subs crossover, but use the selector switch on the ICBM-1.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
For the home theatre the subs own crossover is disabled. However my AV pre has a subwoofer crossover, which I set to the same as the L/C/R ie if I were to use small 80hz for L/C/R then I'd use 80hz for the subwoofer. I don't like having the subwoofer set to 120hz find it's too high frequency.

For the Hifi I'll use the subs own crossover to bring up around the L/R (so sub and L/R receive full range) or if I use a high pass between the pre and power Outlaw ICBM-1 then I disable the subs crossover, but use the selector switch on the ICBM-1.
You talking about the LPF of LFE for the subwoofer in your avr/pre-pro?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
yeah Lexicon MC-8 has a LPF on subwoofer. Tried it on 120hz but don't like it. For music, if I set L/R to say 80hz, with sub LPF to 120hz then for 2 channel music sub is playing back higher frequencies than the L/R and at 120hz, too high frequency. Probable overlap /duplicated bass as well? Most obvious for music. Don't like it for movies either.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
yeah Lexicon MC-8 has a LPF on subwoofer. Tried it on 120hz but don't like it. For music, if I set L/R to say 80hz, with sub LPF to 120hz then for 2 channel music sub is playing back higher frequencies than the L/R and at 120hz, too high frequency. Probable overlap /duplicated bass as well? Most obvious for music. Don't like it for movies either.
My units it only has effect on the LFE/.1 channel content so my 2ch stuff doesn't affect it. I just leave it at 120 since that's the content range of the LFE/.1 channel when there is such content anyways.

OP--sorry for the diversion while we wait for more details on your setup :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I reran YPAO tonight... As I thought the directions in the Yamaha setup told me to set the crossover to max on the physical sub. After YPAO it is set to 90. I think I will try 60 on the receiver and see if that helps my situation.

Thanks for responses....

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I reran YPAO tonight... As I thought the directions in the Yamaha setup told me to set the crossover to max on the physical sub. After YPAO it is set to 90. I think I will try 60 on the receiver and see if that helps my situation.

Thanks for responses....
If YPAO adds an extreme amount of bass, try moving the sub- if it's placed in a spot where the room's response causes a null point, the low frequency .energy will be at a minimum.

Are you running it several times with the mic at different positions and averaging the response?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts