AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says most of it. Looking into a new 2 channel preamp. I'm considering either a Modwright 9.0se, an Ayre k5xe or a Parasound Halo JC2.

Associated equipment is a Halo A21 amp, a marantz SA8001 cd player and Revel M22's (maybe Revel F32's if I don't sell them).

Any opinions on the three preamps above? I've not heard any of them nor do I think I will have a chance to until I get one in the house. All three get great reviews and I doubt I could go wrong with any one of them.

I used to have a Musical Fidelity Trivista 300 integrated amp (which had a tubed pre-section) paired with Magnepan 3.6R's and loved the combination. However, tubes scare me a bit - I have an annoying tendency to analyze the sound too much. Introducing the variables tubes bring in might push my OCD over the limit. I think I might always be wondering if I had the bias set right, etc.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I've heard all 3, although my exposure to the Ayre is minimal. The Modwright is pretty hard to beat if you ask me, and the best of the 3. It definately has the fullest and richest sound of the group.

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ryan. I will probably get a Modwright first to try out. What did you think the Modwright did better than the JC2?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts