AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've currently got a Linn pre-amp going into a Linn power-amp, and then to my speakers. While this provides great sound, the Linn does not have any sort of remote, and walking over to change the volume slightly is getting old.

I only have a 2-channel system right now, but am considering upgrading to a 5.1 or 7.1 system when I have the money (so probably within the next 5-10 years, but not right away). So, I have a few options:

1. Buy an A/V receiver that is good by today's standards, and use it for 2-channels and then be able to use it with whatever system I may by in the next few years. That is, spend a large chunk of money now so that I don't have to later.

2. Buy an A/V receiver that is as cheap as I can go (while still including DTS-HD and TrueHD and offering good 2-channel sound quality), using it for just 2 channels, and then buying a new receiver when I get a surround sound setup.

3. Buy an A/V receiver that is "decent" now, use it for 2 channels, and risk buying a system down the line that really warrants a new receiver anyway.

I'm leaning toward the second option, but I'm not sure if it's really possible to do. That is, do they make decent 2-channel receivers, or would all the 2-channel receivers be ancient and not support DTS-HD and TrueHD?

I'm almost a complete noob when it comes to receivers, so I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks!

·
The Village Idiot
9,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calan /forum/post/16945534

Hi,

I'm leaning toward the second option, but I'm not sure if it's really possible to do. That is, do they make decent 2-channel receivers, or would all the 2-channel receivers be ancient and not support DTS-HD and TrueHD?

I'm almost a complete noob when it comes to receivers, so I'd really appreciate some help. Thanks!

No 2 channel receiver supports any of the surround sounds. How can they with only 2 channels?

As for option 2 - that would be the best choice. Most 5.1/7.1 receivers can play 2 channel music just fine.

You'll need to throw out a budget if you want any suggestions.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Here's an idea. Go HERE and you'll find the Harman Kardon AVR-254. It has pre-outs so you can hook up and amp to it if you like. It decodes all the new HD codecs and it happens to be arguably the most beautiful receiver made today. It has 3 HDMI inputs, a very easy to use GUI and a room correction program to help you set your speakers up. Don't pay the 'BUY IT NOW' price..they are accepting bids around $225 or so I think. For the money you won't find a better deal anywhere.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/16945745

No 2 channel receiver supports any of the surround sounds. How can they with only 2 channels?

As for option 2 - that would be the best choice. Most 5.1/7.1 receivers can play 2 channel music just fine.

You'll need to throw out a budget if you want any suggestions.

I would imagine I'd get just the added quality on those 2 channels with DTS-HD or TrueHD.

I'm aiming for

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
If you buy an HDMI 1.3 7.1 AVR with on-board HD decoding it will work fine for 2-CH output. Simply set the Center, Surround L&R and Back Surround L&R loudspeakers to OFF or NONE. The AVR's DSP will automatically downmix the Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio multi-channel source media and output it as 2-CH...

Just my $0.025...

·
Registered
14,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielson99 /forum/post/16945749

It decodes all the new HD codecs and it happens to be arguably the most beautiful receiver made today.

As they say beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
. I find any receiver with front panel A/V inputs not behind a drop down door to be rather ugly to be quite honest.

Bill

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
anything under $100 that would match a pair of bookshelf speakers and a blu-ray player for my dad's panny pdp?

he just wants something better than the built in speakers but under $300 total

1 - 7 of 7 Posts