AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three friends and I plan on getting a house soon, and of course we plan to throw a few parties. So we are in need of a budget 2 or 2.1 set up for parties as well as for our own enjoyment. I'm thinking of a budget not more than $600. I am also not opposed to buying used.

This set up has one purpose.... to get loud and play for hours on end.

At my parents house, my father has a pair of Klipsch Fortes powered by an older Denon receiver (80wpc iirc). A set up like that would be ideal, as it gets loud and sounds amazing (no sub in this set up). Something like this would be ideal, but I already know that I most likely won't get something as nice as those Fortes with the budget we have.

I was thinking something along the lines of a pair of used Cerwin Vega floorstanders with a 12 or 15 inch woofer. I see them on the local CL going for ~$200. A pair of those and perhaps an amp such as the QSC QX3 with a laptop plugged in directly via 3.5mm to RCA cable would do wonders I think. I could be very wrong on this though. Keep in mind I don't need amazing clarity; people will be drunk and I've seen them get down to Sony bookshelf boomboxes.

I've looked into PA setups and it would be over budget based on also needing a subwoofer to go along with a pair of PA speakers. I was thinking some floorstanding HT speakers with a large woofer and good sensitivity (like the Fortes) would get loud enough (doesn't have to be ear piercing) and have pretty decent low end if powered by a proper amp.

So comment with your opinions and suggestions. I'm open to all ideas at this point. Any advice would be awesome!

Thanks,

Spencer

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Cerwin Vegas will do you good !!!.

Go for dual 12 or a single 15 inch woofers, their fairly very efficient so an amp with a 100 watts would be enough.

What I noticed is that the headphone output to amp connection is edgy, well at least on my setup. What I did was I got a USB DAC, a .behringer UCA202, its really inexpensive and sounds great for its price.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Ahhhhh good old college stereo. Some good memories with my old setup...Yamaha RXV-1, Klipsch KLF10s, ans a 10" Klipsch sub

CL is your best bet, and you are definitely going for the right brands. I just saw a pair of KLF20s for $400. You should be able to easily do what you want. Just some advice...bass travels...really far. Make friends with the neighbors as soon as you can!

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There was an old Acoustic Research speaker AR15HO and the AR12HO, they were loud and very efficient, some were using as little as ten watts on the 15HO

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Get bass-reflex speakers with either a 15" or 12" woofer.

Practically any receiver or integrated amplifier rated for 50 watts or more will do the job.

I would get a pair of the JBL JRX115 speakers for $215 each at Amazon; they are superb, and rugged, and portable if you want to go outdoors temporarily.

The Sony STDRH130 has plenty of power and you can pick it up for around $130 or less at various places.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts

I'm on the Cerwin Vega side too. Very cheap and a lot of noise.

Pretty decent sound for such a party.

Ask If any booze proof models are available

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
When the cones are falling out and the voice coils of the Cerwin-Vegas have melted, the JBL JRX115 will still be blowing out the windows and loafing along.

Cheap is cheap.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1520326/2-channel-set-up-for-college-parties#post_24455800

When the cones are falling out and the voice coils of the Cerwin-Vegas have melted, the JBL JRX115 will still be blowing out the windows and loafing along.

Cheap is cheap.

Is that JBL a full range speaker though? I know most PA speakers don't output bass as low as a home theater speaker with a 12" or 15" woofer.

This is the main reason I was leaning towards HT speakers rather than PA speakers.

I have experience with this since at my parents house we have two Klipsch Fortes on an older Denon receiver, and also a powered JBL Eon 15" PA speaker (used with the electronic drumset).

I have played music through both the Fortes and Eon, and even though the Eon could probably get louder, it was lacking in bass compared to the Fortes.

EDIT: I might add that both set ups are in the same room.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv7883  /t/1520326/2-channel-set-up-for-college-parties#post_24465537

Is that JBL a full range speaker though? I know most PA speakers don't output bass as low as a home theater speaker with a 12" or 15" woofer.

This is the main reason I was leaning towards HT speakers rather than PA speakers.

I have experience with this since at my parents house we have two Klipsch Fortes on an older Denon receiver, and also a powered JBL Eon 15" PA speaker (used with the electronic drumset).

I have played music through both the Fortes and Eon, and even though the Eon could probably get louder, it was lacking in bass compared to the Fortes.

EDIT: I might add that both set ups are in the same room.

A sub is going to be better at playing bass than a full range speaker, but for your needs you might get more mileage out of a PA speaker. They are built to be portable and rugged, and something with a 15" woofer is still going to give you that chest thump.

Reactions: cel4145

·
Registered
43 Posts
Pro audio is a good idea, but if not at least get a good amplifier - the qsc.you mentioned certainly qualifies. When I was in college (not that long ago!) I blew the power supplies in a Denon receiver and then again in the Marantz I replaced it with. Even in high school I could beat this stuff up and not have a problem, but the abuse that a good college party can put on gear is shocking. I would really make sure you get stuff that is well designed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just still don't really feel comfortable going with pro audio. Just because I know that PA speakers are meant to be paired with a sub to fill in the bottom frequencies. If I go with PA speakers, I wont be able to afford a PA sub. That's why I was really leaning towards full range home theater speakers like CV's because I know they will fill in the

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The JBL JRX115 speakers will put out more bass with their 15-inch woofers than a lot of so-called subwoofers will.

They put out bass like you won't believe!

They are EXACTLY what you want (definitely full-range).

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv7883  /t/1520326/2-channel-set-up-for-college-parties#post_24484115

I just still don't really feel comfortable going with pro audio. Just because I know that PA speakers are meant to be paired with a sub to fill in the bottom frequencies. If I go with PA speakers, I wont be able to afford a PA sub. That's why I was really leaning towards full range home theater speakers like CV's because I know they will fill in the

·
Registered
952 Posts
You can get a pair of bstock Mackie Thump TH15's and a few audio adaptors to plug in a phone or laptop for under $450 from Full Compass. Absolutely no need for a sub. These are by far the best deal you will ever find for this kind of application. To get to the next tier of performance is roughly $3k, and you're only buying yourself another 10dB.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Don't forget to check out the frequency response plots.....pro audio is very different in that real specs are usually available.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Ahhh yes -- good old college stereo, fraternity house days. In our "party" room, had a pair of Cerwin Vega S1 speakers with "thermo vapor" barrier (needed that for all the kegger parties!) and a 80w/channel sony integrated amp. Talk about loud, my gosh!! Good times!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts