AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks! New member here.

I'm looking to assemble a second system for stereo listening only. I'll be using bookshelf speakers plus sub ( Infinity line ). I want to get into some budget separates and I was looking at the Anthem Tlp1 pre/pro, Parasound Halo, Rotel, but if there are any other suggestions- they're welcome:) .

I'm leaning towards the Anthem ONLY because it has a built-in crossover for a stereo preamp. I was told that this was ideal as you can divide the frequencies to your amp+sub+bookshelf speaker from your preamp.

Is this a better method than sending a full range signal from a regular preamp to the sub and than hi-pass a (dirty?) signal to the 2-channel amp ?

Or should I just output a full range signal to the sub and amp? However I was told a full range signal to an amp is not ideal.

I do like the Rotel lineup but this 2ch. bass mangement issue has me stumped. :confused:

thanks in advance !

· Registered
5,604 Posts
boothbrave welcome to this addictive forum. You pose a very intelligent question. One I need to research. It makes sense that whether you run the system in a 2-channel, 6-channel, or 8-channel and run your sub (s) in mono and implement the Bass Management feature of your prepro that all speakers will essentially play 20-20KHz. I have heard old school audiophiles say using the sat/sub idea in 2-channel is communistic. I have heard the music setup with a sub and I like it. Too many towers play righteous mid-bass, but lack sub-sonic bass in music modes.

Try going to www.mkprofessional.com and seek the article: "Bass Management Explained". In the mean time I will do some homework on this question and hopefully get some new information to you before the thread dies.

Scott

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks hometheaterguy !

I'll check out the link you provided.

With most inquiries going towards multi-channel processors, receivers, music+movies, etc. , this question may not garner a lot of interest:( .

Usually most people are focusing on their hometheater system which serves as music and movies.

· Registered
5,604 Posts
No problem. I like my Lexicon music/cinema processor. As you change the source to CD, or DVD listening the prepro compensates for any change in sound automatically, including how the bass is managed.

Where in the Great White North are you? My wife is from Belleville and has dual U.S./Canada citizenship.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From Toronto...for now. One day I'll head out west like Alberta or Vancouver. :)

So far no luck on this bass management issue. Maybe there's just no market for this as hometheater is all the rage ?

· Registered
1,077 Posts
Quote:
this question may not garner a lot of interest
I've experimented with 2-channel sub use for a number of years now, and my interest is focused on the sound quality of 2-channel music.

My conclusion with my equipment in my room is that sub use for 2-channel can be very good indeed, but how the crossover is handled is critical.

I happen to use towers for my mains, but cross them over before their own internal low frequency rolloff has much effect, i.e. almost an octave above their low frequency -3dB.

Mains -3dB @32hz, crossed at 60Hz with a 24dB Linkwitz-Riley (4th order) external active crossover (which also has a L+R low-pass sum switch) to a mono powered sub less than 3 feet from front left main speaker.

· Registered
42 Posts
Hello, boothbrave. I would imagine 2-channel sat/sub systems to be fairly common. The advantages of a sat/sub configuration apply equally well in 2-channel as in home theater applications. You are raising the right questions about handling the crossover. In my 2-channel system I use Spendor S3/5 monitors which roll off -3db at 80Hz. Due to this convenient roll off frequency, I feed them with a full-range signal. I also feed a Velodyne SPL-800 subwoofer with a full-range signal and set its internal crossover to about 60Hz. Using a sat/sub configuration here also allows me to dial-down the low frequencies. I found that the full-range floor-standers I've tried in my listening room typically result in over-emphasized bass. I would have to compensate with some kind of equalization or advanced room treatment. Instead, the sat/sub configuration lets me simply lower the volume at the subwoofer. It's not as effective as a properly treated room, but it's much cheaper and simpler, and much more portable. Good luck in your search for the right set up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.