AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my speakers about 4 and 1/2 feet apart- it is really the ONLY place I can put them. They do double duty, music and HT. I have been moving them, listening, adjusting, shifting the tweeters and trying everything to get them to sound as good as I heard them when I bought them. Finally, I found that they image well and sound best.......... when I am sitting on my coffee table about dead center between them, 4 feet in front of them.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do with my room to get them to image better farther away or would I need to move them farther apart from each other?

I have Wharfedale pacific 40's. Any input you might have would be appreciated!

·
Registered
799 Posts
There are other things you can try first before making that equilateral spot permanent. If you have the speakers toed-in try different angles. If you have them flushed with whatever furniture/rack you have in between try move them out a bit @ a time. Finally you can always try putting some sound adsorbing/deadening material (from wall hangings to plants) next to the speakers to see if minimizing side reflections will change things.

Cheers.

PF

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Having your speakers the same distance apart as you are from a line drawn through them seems to be a nice place to start. Changing toe-in can affect things a little, although spacing between the pair and between them and you will have the biggest effects.

IOW, it's normal and you probably want to move them farther apart.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
If you do more 2 ch listening than HT listening then I would try to optimize for 2 ch. Usually the farther away from the walls both side and back - the better imaging you will get. I am not familiar with the speakers you have but very few speakers that I have come across can be put really far apart say 12+ feet without the image totally collapsing. This is not a problem for HT but a potential problem for dedicated 2 ch listening. I suggest start playing around and move them in different spots in your room and find the best comprimise. For myself, I didn't like the comprimise so I have speakers for my HT and two speakers for my 2 ch in two dedicated systems in the same room. I am fortunate that my 2 ch speakers are one of the few that I have come across that can be spread really far apart and still have outstanding imaging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.