AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to set up a room (41ft x 41ft) with 6 speakers. I don't need a center speaker, surround speakers, or rear speakers, just 3 left and 3 right speakers that basically mimic the front speakers. I can't seem to find the right receiver to do this though. All modern receivers have multiple terminals for front, center, surround, and rear surround. The DVD's we play won’t have surround sound, so all I need is to replicate the 2 front speakers. I was thinking of hooking up 3 speakers to the right terminals, and three 3 speakers to the left terminals. I don’t know much about sound systems, but I assume this can’t be done without some kind of loss.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You can get a 7.1 channel receiver that has an "all channel stereo" setting and just not use the center channel output.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I have an Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2 AVR, I got it for 5 bills, not sure what it is selling for now.

I have mine set up as a 5.1 with 115 watts into each channel, but it has a TON of software selectable speaker options in terms of output, including Dolby, DTS and all that. It also has an ALL STEREO mode where the speakers are set up exactly like you want, with all the speakers working, in stereo only. It sounds pretty good that way.

As you suggested, I would think it would work with speakers set up as Fronts, Surround and Surround back. That will drive your three speakers into L/R, and the output is fully adjustable via the on-screen (to your TV) or built-in menu. There is no loss of signal, and will have a HUGE sound stage.

Google the manual, it will probably give you a better description than I did.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_bartman  /t/1472919/2-channel-system-with-6-speakers#post_23321057

You can get a 7.1 channel receiver that has an "all channel stereo" setting and just not use the center channel output.

I looked through the manual for the Yamaha RX-V673 receiver, but I didn't see an option for that. Maybe its called something else. I have check it out again, thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvu80  /t/1472919/2-channel-system-with-6-speakers#post_23321068

I have an Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2 AVR, I got it for 5 bills, not sure what it is selling for now.

I have mine set up as a 5.1 with 115 watts into each channel, but it has a TON of software selectable speaker options in terms of output, including Dolby, DTS and all that. It also has an ALL STEREO mode where the speakers are set up exactly like you want, with all the speakers working, in stereo only. It sounds pretty good that way.

For you I would think it would work with speakers set up as Fronts, Surround and Surround back. That will drive your three speakers into L/R, and the output is fully adjustable via the on-screen (to your TV) or built-in menu.

Google the manual, it will probably give you a better description than I did.

Awesome, thanks. I'll download the manual and check it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.