AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before but my equipment is different-I think. Please forgive me for my ignorance, I am not an audiophile.

I have an 7.1 Pioneer elite AVR that can be bi amped. It also can be set to play 6 ohm speakers. I am using an external sub for the low frequencies. My speakers are 8 ohm and are able to be bi amped. Can I safely add my vsb channels to my front L & R speaker terminals if I do not remove the copper plate? I understand ohm impedence will be changed (not sure which direction, up or down). I have the speaker setting in the receiver set to small so all low frequencies go to the seperate sub. Thank you in advance for your expert advice on this.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It is unclear what you are asking but I am thinking no. If you are asking if you can bi-amp your speakers without removing the copper plate, I believe you cannot. Also, it is pointless to "bi-amp" from the same amplifier, it's called "bi-wiring" and it doesn't change anything. you should just connect your speakers normally.

If you are set on bi-wiring your speakers, what reason do you have for not removing the copper plate on the binding posts? It doesn't change the resistance, but bi-wiring does NOTHING if you don't remove it. Even if you remove it you will not be able to notice the difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding. I do not want to bi wire. I was wondering if I could run channels 1 and 6 to my front left speaker and channels 2 & 7 to my right front. If I can do this should I set the receiver to bi amp or not and should I change the impedence setting in the receiver or not. I was just wanting to add my power to my left and right channels by adding the additional power that is on channels 6 & 7. Thank you.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Herrick  /t/1420117/2-channels-into-one-speaker#post_22216440

I was just wanting to add my power to my left and right channels by adding the additional power that is on channels 6 & 7.
Even if it could be done the additional power would have no effect, as output is determined by voltage swing, and unless the channels can be series bridged there is no increase in voltage swing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. My receiver is rated at 110 watts per channel. I know this is not actual output. To increase power to the speakers should I get an amp? If so what wattage? My speakers say they can handle 150 watts.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Herrick  /t/1420117/2-channels-into-one-speaker#post_22216537

My speakers say they can handle 150 watts.
If your speakers are rated for 150w thermal chances are they can't actually make use of more than 75 watts before the woofers reach their excursion limits. If you want to double the volume of a 110w amp you need an 1100w amp. Either don't change anything or change everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts