AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't doubt this has been discussed here before but a quick search did not quite pinpoint my query. I have a TWC HD 2000(with component out) and a Panasonic RP91(component out). My Elite Hd510 has two sets of component inputs. What are my options for connecting the new JVC HDTV VCR (HM3000?) without sacrificing the wide band capabilities of the STB or DVD player? I'm really not interested in replacing my Marantz receiver at this time. Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
2,399 Posts
Audio Authority has an active switcher (4 in and 1 out) at a steep price of $240.00. They sure make good stuff. www.audioauthority.com.

· Premium Member
696 Posts
Gary

Make sure these switchers can pass a HiDef signal w/o degrading it.

· Registered
957 Posts
go for a search. This topic has a number of threads covering lots of options. I use a Extron SW4 AR I bought on Ebay. 300 MHZ bandwidth. Manual (yes I have to get off the couch to change inputs) but you can add a IR switching capability.

· Premium Member
2,871 Posts
Thanks for the great link mcurtin. I don't need one quite yet but when I do, I know were I'm going to get one.

My Onkyo receiver has two inputs and my television has two inputs. However, I'm currently using 2 progressive scan DVD players and a HD satellite STB. I've ran one DVD player and the STB to the receiver which is connected to the TV and I've connected the 2nd DVD player directly to the TV's 2nd input.

I'm currently thinking hard about getting JVC's D-VHS VCR with D-Theater and the switch your using would be perfect. I could literally connect EVERYTHING to it and free up one input on both the receiver AND television! In the Onkyo's menus, I could set everything to component 1 for example and it would never have to do the switching itself again. More importantly for me, I would only have to switch to the first component input on the TV and stay there.

Two questions though if you don't mind:

1. Is the 12V AC adaptor included?

2. Does it in fact come with some type of simple IR remote I could use to program into my universal remote?

Thanks again.

· Registered
13,761 Posts
I wonder if any of these will pass through a full 28mbps D-Theater signal without degradation...???

· Registered
210 Posts
Mike,

A couple of questions:

1) Is this your company?

2) Are you located in Portland?

3) have you tried this switch with the JVC D-VHS?

I also am interested in what Wesley asked as well.

Thanks,

--------------------Dave

· Registered
1,991 Posts
If you compare bandwidths, the JVC S111 manual switch works fine for 1080i and 480p. Do a search on it -- it has been rated/reviewed elsewhere on the AVS Forum. I use it for an Explorer 3100HD cable box, an interlaced DVD player and a Panasonic RP91 -- I don't notice any signal degradation. It may choke on a 720p signal.

Joe

· Registered
3,220 Posts
My HDTV has two component inputs also (Toshiba TW65X81) and I have two component sources currently. My Dish 6000 and JVC progressive scan DVD player.

I also am considering the JVC 30000. My planned solution is to get a new receiver with component switching. I need a new receiver anyway for other reasons so this is a good solution for me. However, all receivers I have seen only have two component inputs giving a total of three sources. My son has a game player and a RGB to component converter so the fourth component input he will have to switch manually.

Rick R

· Registered
8 Posts
Dave,

Yes, we make these Component video switchers here in Portland, Oregon.

www.inday.com

I have not tried it with the JVC-30000 yet! The specs on the JVC say it includes 1 component output (Y, Pb, PR), which will work fine with the switcher.

As far as bandwidth goes, the switching IC's are rated at 700MHz and the output Buffers are guaranteed to 230MHz. The only limiting factor here is the cables used for interconnect. RG59 works the best.

Most HDTV component signals don't go much above 80MHz. If I remember my tests right, the highest frequency I measured out of a VGA card running at 1920x1200P at 60Hz with a gray field test pattern was 96MHz.

The switcher operates either manually or it can learn to switch from just about any IR remote you have. The unit will simply memorize a code from a unused position of any remote and then using the CH Up/Down (or function of your choice) it cycles through the inputs.

Mike

· Registered
210 Posts
Thanks Mike.

Looks like a good product. I may be interested once I get my JVC 30K.

---------Dave

· Registered
1,991 Posts
Unfortunately, the Inday RGB4X doesn't also switch audio -- which the JVC S111 does. It is very tempting to replace the S111 with the RGB4X and get the extra component input and the ability to remote control the switch -- but the trouble is, I'm also running out of digital audio intputs on the A/V receiver. The switch needs to switch both the video and audio to be useful. This switch would be MUCH more useful if it had even one RCA jack for coaxial digital audio.

Joe

· Registered
856 Posts
An Audio Authority # 1177 autoswitcher (~$125.00) combined with the Inday RGB4X (~$180.00) would handle 4-component video cables as well as 4-digital audio cables (any combo of four: digital coaxial or toslink). If the Inday had either autoswitching or handled discrete codes for remote controls, I'd be much more likely to get one.

· Registered
2,150 Posts
I'm using the Radio Shack $15 analog switch and run my Xbox and HD receiver through it.

I've done A/B comparisons from both sources, with and without the switch in line and can't tell a difference.

It's all analog so there is no bandwidth issues. Other's use a Y adaptor for all 3 component cables, but you have to make sure both sources are never turned on at the same time.

· Registered
2,286 Posts
Gary,

Or............you could use a component-to-RGB converter and go into Input 3 on your 510. Turn the Input 3 switch (located on the back of your 510 near Input 3) from S-Video to RGB, and then plug the converter into the Input 3 15-pin RGB connector.

This trick gets you 3 component inputs on Pioneer RPTV's. I guess one issue might be "Is a component-to-RGB converter less money than a component switcher?"

· Registered
1,714 Posts
Save your money, buy the Radio Shack A/B video switcher. Just like jdiehl, I'm using the switcher for my XBOX and my HD receiver. The picture quality is great on both.

The reason "high-end" switchers exist is the same reason why Foleys will sell a plain white T-shirt for $50 while Wal-mart will have the exact same shirt for $5. There are manufacturers out there ready to milk whoever is willing to pay.

· Registered
164 Posts
another vote for the RS A/B switch

i'm using it for switching my XBOX and DVD player

i'm also using the RS optical switch as well...

after i run into a load of money i'll buy these nice auto switches but until then i have to get my lazy arse off the couch!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.