AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading with interest in this forum about the DirecTV elliptical dish being less than adequate for good HD reception, and how many people are opting for a second dish dedicated to catching the HD satellite. I'm still trying to decide between DirecTV and Dish Network, and everytime I think I've reached a decision, something comes along that makes me want to change my mind.

I know Dish Network requires 2 dishes to begin with (one of them is strictly for HD only). Does that mean it's already set up for better reception than DirecTV, which compromises its signal with an elliptical dish? Originally I was leaning toward DirecTV because I didn't want to have 2 dishes on my roof! Of course programming is the other issue, but I'm just talking hardware here.

If I get 2 dishes with DirecTV, will the reception be as good as Dish Network's, or better?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Bert,

Welcome to the AVS Forum!

The issue of two diahes has nothing to do with signal strength = better image. Because DBS is digital you either have an image or you don't.

The only advantage of having two dishes is to fight "rain fade" which is a situation that is caused by heavy rain where the signal might be lost as the rain forms a curtain in front of the dish. The two dish setup offers better rain fade over the single oval due to more dish area.

It is also an easier setup than the oval.

Lee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.