AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I touched on this in another thread but it occurs to me that if MS is going to offer 20 and 40 GB Hard drives wouldn't it make sense to offer an alacarte core system?

I mean, if you are buying a brand new 360 and they have 2 different drives, do you really want to buy the 20 AND buy the 40 GB drive? It would make sense to buy the core and then the 40 GB drive. As long as pricing is practical.

However there would still be the issue of buying High def cables for some.

But I would think an argument woul dbe made here for not having to buy a hard drive twice.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Martin
I touched on this in another thread but it occurs to me that if MS is going to offer 20 and 40 GB Hard drives wouldn't it make sense to offer an alacarte core system?

I mean, if you are buying a brand new 360 and they have 2 different drives, do you really want to buy the 20 AND buy the 40 GB drive? It would make sense to buy the core and then the 40 GB drive. As long as pricing is practical.

However there would still be the issue of buying High def cables for some.

But I would think an argument woul dbe made here for not having to buy a hard drive twice.
I think you're right. It would make since to purchase the core and add the 40 GB to it. Price will certainly play a role.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I said something about this yesterday. We have 2 XBox's. One in my HT and one in my son's room. If/when a larger HD comes out I'll buy him a core system and get myself the larger one.

Another plus for the core.. my sister and he husband do not allow my nephew (10) to play online games. We'll probably buy him a Core system for his birthday this year.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankJ.Cone
I said something about this yesterday. We have 2 XBox's. One in my HT and one in my son's room. If/when a larger HD comes out I'll buy him a core system and get myself the larger one.

Another plus for the core.. my sister and he husband do not allow my nephew (10) to play online games. We'll probably buy him a Core system for his birthday this year.

Same thing here too. Now I can probably get my son a 360. His TV isn't high def so he doesn't need all the frills.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Same thing here too. Now I can probably get my son a 360. His TV isn't high def so he doesn't need all the frills.

Yes. I think the no frill core version could really become more & more appealing as time goes on.

First off it has the greatest potential for price decreases. 2nd is has the greatest potential for size decreases and cute little compact versions.

It appeals to a lot of gamers that don't care a lot about online play or top of the line features. They just want to play Halo, or Kameo, or PDZ etc. Kids for instance could fall heavily in this category. Pack in a Sonic or something maybe? ;-)

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
If we can use our own external usb hard drive, it would make things easier. We know that 360 does accept usb storage. But I'm still wondering if it can be used as an alternative to the hd or memory unit.

Anyone?

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim
Yes. I think the no frill core version could really become more & more appealing as time goes on.

First off it has the greatest potential for price decreases. 2nd is has the greatest potential for size decreases and cute little compact versions.

It appeals to a lot of gamers that don't care a lot about online play or top of the line features. They just want to play Halo, or Kameo, or PDZ etc. Kids for instance could fall heavily in this category. Pack in a Sonic or something maybe? ;-)
What if you wanted to set up a little networking area with say, 4 xboxes and lan them together? I doubt you would need a hard drive for all of them.

And also say you had a 360 at two seperate places. You can merely take your whole HDD and put it on one or the other.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ja Phule
If we can use our own external usb hard drive, it would make things easier. We know that 360 does accept usb storage. But I'm still wondering if it can be used as an alternative to the hd or memory unit.

Anyone?
USB harddrive would be great, but I doubt MS would support it since they will want to control the acce$$orie markup. :-(

The connection to PC's though allows you do that another way though right?

With wireless connection and PC connectivities you have connection to network drives for your media so the potential is practically limitless.

Quote:
What if you wanted to set up a little networking area with say, 4 xboxes and lan them together? I doubt you would need a hard drive for all of them.
Yes, wireless networking, network drives + removeable harddrives + VGA connections. 360 networks are looking *very* flexible and easy to get going :)

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Hmm...maybe i can get clarification from my friend at MS. But he told me he'd be in Europe for something...not sure what. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
504 Posts
You guys are dreaming, Microsoft needs to make their margins somewhere. There is no way they are going to let you use an off the shelf 1gb USB pen drive or USB harddrive in place of the official accessory. The USB ports and PC connectivity are for what Microsoft has said they are for: streaming media.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
>>Now I can probably get my son a 360. His TV isn't high def so he doesn't need all the frills.

I wouldn't buy a 360 for a regular tv. Why do you want to pay $60/game? I imagine there is going to be a feast of current gen. systems and games for sell.

>>do you really want to buy the 20 AND buy the 40 GB drive?

I fail to see any attraction to 40GB, 400GB maybe...

I think I'm scaling back my launch purchase to 399 pack, 1 extra wireless controller, 1 game. Ouch $510 + tax + live gold fees....

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm not really sure why there'd be an attraction to a larger HDD. What are you going to store on it? Music and video can be streamed from a network PC running XP. Maybe demos and the like, but I don't see the demos being that numerous, or that large, to not fit on the included HDD.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ohhh....and has anybody mentioned that the USB WebCam is not listed as an included accessory, nor is it listed in the accessory price list? Perhaps MS heard all the negative comments it got on forums like this.

·
Banned
4,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitTRL1000
Ohhh....and has anybody mentioned that the USB WebCam is not listed as an included accessory, nor is it listed in the accessory price list? Perhaps MS heard all the negative comments it got on forums like this.

Good catch. Yes, where is the web cam??

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I thought they said any usb webcam would work.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Quote:
510 is nothing. You may not even be able to get a PS3 for that....:D
Again, speculation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.