AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am in a huge delimma. Verizon just hang a tag on my door saying that Fios is available soon in my neighborhood. So now I have choice, Cox able, Fios or either dish provider. What I am looking is:

I have 2 HDTV (1 of them is a 720p projector). I definitely want HD DVR, but do not want the hassle to deal with 2 HD DVRs. Is there a service provider or some sort of equipment to realize this?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Short answer. No.

Dish has a DVR that can output two different programs, you are limited to SD resolutions on the second set. Fios has a multi-room DVR that works with client STB's but again they can only do SD.

Personally I'd sign up for FIOS since they will offer great PQ and programming (don't have the bandwidth limitations sat and cable has) and just acquire the equipment and/or cabling you need to split the output from one DVR to both your HDTV's. Give us your hook up options between the TV and projector and we can recommend some options.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have a Panasonic 60U Plasma in 2nd floor bedroom, and the projector I am upgrading to is a Panasonic 100U, it will be down stairs in the family room, replacing my 3 year old HP 6110.

Planned connections are both HDMI, but of course, can be changed. DVR can be put into either room, prefer bedroom. Bedroom TV is almost directly above projector.

Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Well if the device can support both component and HDMI output at the same time, you could run one to the projector and the other to your TV. You could also split the component connection if using both outputs isn't an option using a component distribution amp or there are HDMI splitters showing up on the market though I can't comment on how well they work.

You'd of course need to route cabling from the bedroom to the projector and find some way to get the remote to work also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good idea and sounds really simple. How dumb I am.

Wiring cable would be fine.

But remote...hmm, any suggesions? Is there a HD DVR using RF remote? Or somehow link one remote to another?

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
You can get IR extenders if the remote is just IR.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts