AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to help a friend who just picked up a 1292..he has 2 hidef sources..I'm also considering adding a 2nd Hidef Satellite receiver that can do HD recording, so I'll be in the same situation, I hope soon..

We both use a HTPC for the std def sources and we'll have two sets of RGBHV cards into our 1292's - I'm running my hidef (15 pin RGB) directly into the 2nd crt input..

I'll be trying the AUX card with my Holo 2 card soon - this may be a solution for me as I can feed one HD source into the Aux card and then a 2nd HD box directly into the CRT..

Both his HD sources use component video..

What options (other than cable swapping) are available to us?

In my case, I don't want anything that will degrade the PQ in any way...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Lots of good component switchers out there that won't degrade the signal. Do a search on the Forum. Any decent audio receiver these days has high bandwidth component switching, as well.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Check ebay for extron switchers. I bought I a used RGBS switcher that I am using for component for my two Hidef sources. Cost was $20.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if Shaun's receiver has high bandwidth capability..

I have the Lex MC-12 which I imagine would work..

If we go the receiver/preamp route do we then need a transcoder to convert component to RGBHV?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just talked with Shaun..

The receiver option is out for him as it only has s-video in/out..

John,

I did check Ebay and switchers are available - you can't knock the price..:)

Just want to be sure that a $25 switcher can pass thru the full HD bandwith..

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The one specs on the one I bought say 300 Mhz bandwidth. I can't detect any loss when viewing the high resolution pattern on DVE 1080i Dtheater tape.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John the Depot Dude
...do we then need a transcoder to convert component to RGBHV?
Yes, you need a transcoder if you want to convert RGB to component, or vice versa.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks - I think it's falling into place finally..

Wireless uses the extron switch - it has 2 sets of RGBS in and one RGBS out - he ignores the S altogether but then still needs a transcoder..

So I'll probably follow what Wireless did for Shaun's setup except get a cheaper transcoder than the MP-5..

In my case, I'll try the daughtercard and if it works I may be alright without a transcoder, but if I need one I'll get the MP-5..

·
Registered
786 Posts
John,

Yeah, sure, rub it in! One HD source not enough to suffice your fix anymore? I feel like that kid standing at the fence on a hot summer day watching all the neighbor kids swimming in their pool and just dreaming of the day he gets his! oooooOOOOOHHHHHHHHH, the agony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just keep rubbing it in, John! Just keep rubbing it in! :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok..Mike..

You want me to rub it in - then I will..:)

I just found out that Direct picked up the CBS HD feed of the SuperBowl !!

Channel 80..

Yippee..

(sorry)

Btw, your post was a reminder to call KBK..

I got his voicemail..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.