AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a prior 7.1 surround sound system. Onkyo hts 6100. I like it.

However this past Xmas my mother bought me a surprise pair of Klipsch Synergy F1 floor standing
speakers.

These speakers are supposedly 100W each. I wanted to hook them up to my Onkyo receiver, but decided that was probably a bad idea.

Im pretty sure I need an 8 ohm amplifier to get these bad boys to work. however, how do i hook the speakers up to play the same music as my previously existing Onkyo Hts 6100 surround sound?

Basically I am asking how do i turn my 7.1 Onkyo surround sound, into a 9.1 Onkyo/Klipsch hybrid surround sound.

Please help me blare music back at my neighbors! They're relentless!

Any advice, comments, or even criticisms are welcome. Thank you all in advance. If you want to PM me an answer that is fine too.. Thank you again.

Josh

·
Registered
29,190 Posts

Quote:
These speakers are supposedly 100W each. I wanted to hook them up to my Onkyo receiver, but decided that was probably a bad idea.

Why wouldn't you hook them up? Those klipsch are way more efficient and will sound better and louder than your current speakers.

Quote:
Im pretty sure I need an 8 ohm amplifier to get these bad boys to work. however, how do i hook the speakers up to play the same music as my previously existing Onkyo Hts 6100 surround sound?

The Onkyo receiver in your system easily handles 8 ohm speakers. You hook the F1 up the same way as your current speakers. Unscrew the bottom terminals on the back a little bit, insert the bare wire in the hole provided and tighten back up! Its really simple. Leave those metal brackets in place. Your current speaker may online have spring clips but you still connect one wire to the red terminal and one to black.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/18217802

Why wouldn't you hook them up? Those klipsch are way more efficient and will sound better and louder than your current speakers.

The Onkyo receiver in your system easily handles 8 ohm speakers. You hook the F1 up the same way as your current speakers. Unscrew the bottom terminals on the back a little bit, insert the bare wire in the hole provided and tighten back up! Its really simple. Leave those metal brackets in place.

Awesome news, but the only reason i havent done that already is because my Onkyo speakers only have 1 red and 1 black connector. My Klipsch have 2 Red and 2 Black. So would I have to give up 4 Onkyo speakers to hook up the 2 Klipsch?

Im pretty sure my Onkyo speakers are 130W each, and the Klipsch are 100W.

So they wont blow if i hook them up to my receiver?

Thank you so much for the advice so far!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Disconnect your front left and right Onkyo speakers and replace them with the Klipsch. You do not want to try and hook up all 9 speakers. You may find that the front 3 speakers don't blend as well with the Klipsch with the horn tweater. You may want to upgrade your center channel in the future to a Klipsch with a matching tweater.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Just hook up 1 red/ 1 black per Klipsch speaker. They may have two sets of binding posts each, but there should be jumpers connecting them together so only 1 set need to be connected. It doesn't matter if it's the top or bottom.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Couple other items once you have the Klipsch connected. You may want to change your setting on the receiver for the front left/right to large since these are full range floor standers. It was probable set to small before. Also, if the receiver has auto speaker calibration you should run that again with the new speakers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore /forum/post/18217889

Couple other items once you have the Klipsch connected. You may want to change your setting on the receiver for the front left/right to large since these are full range floor standers. It was probable set to small before. Also, if the receiver has auto speaker calibration you should run that again with the new speakers.

Yeah i have a calibrator, i will do that once theyre setup. Thanks again.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassisWack /forum/post/18217905

one set of red n black says RF the other set says LF.. is there a difference?

Do you mean HF and LF? Top pair on the speaker(HF) means high frequency and bottom(LF) low frequencies. Don't worry about it and connect to whichever you want. There are jumpers on the post that connect the top and bottom together.

There are two post there in case someone wants to bi-amp(multiple amplifers) the speakers. They would remove the jumpers connecting the post and then connected one amplifier to one set of posts and another amplifier to the other.

In your case you want to leave the jumpers there and you can use either set of posts. Top or bottom.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettore /forum/post/18217930

Do you mean HF and LF? Top pair on the speaker(HF) means high frequency and bottom(LF) low frequencies. Don't worry about it and connect to whichever you want. There are jumpers on the post that connect the top and bottom together.

There are two post there in case someone wants to bi-amp(multiple amplifers) the speakers. They would remove the jumpers connecting the post and then connected one amplifier to one set of posts and another amplifier to the other.

In your case you want to leave the jumpers there and you can use either set of posts. Top or bottom.

Thanks alot i just calibrated them, im testing them out now.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Your speakers do not provide any power, the receiver does!

Second, that reciever doesn't put out 130 watts per channel, not even close. Its a 80-90 watt per channel receiver where they've jacked up the power ratings to 130w to impress buyers like yourself. Its basically a watered down Onkyo 606 receiver which really is rated at 90 watts per channel at 8ohms across the 20hz-20khz frequency range.

Here's a secret and quick lesson. HTIB mfrs always inflate the power ratings to impress buyers. The Onkyo 7100 HTIB (one step above yours) uses the TX-SR606 receiver. You can see it on the back in the photo gallery.
http://onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=HT-S...ss=Systems&p=i

That 606 doesn't get more powerful because they threw and iPod dock and speakers in the box! All of a sudden it is 130w per channel but only 90wpc if you buy it as a standalone receiver? C'mon! Onkyo meaures the power at 6 ohms and 1khz frequency which is a terrible way to measure power output. But it impresses buyers so they publish it that way with those packaged systems.

Next, your Onkyo speakers are terribly inefficient! They have a sensitivity rating of 79db. The Klipsch has a rating of 93db. That's a huge difference! It'll take WAY LESS power to drive the Klipsch to the same volume levels as your Onkyo speakers.

Quote:
Awesome news, but the only reason i havent done that already is because my Onkyo speakers only have 1 red and 1 black connector. My Klipsch have 2 Red and 2 Black. So would I have to give up 4 Onkyo speakers to hook up the 2 Klipsch?

No you just use the same two speaker wires you currently have with your main speakers. The dual terminals on the F1 are for biamping and biwiring which is a whole different conversation and a waste of your time right now. Just leave those metal brackets in place and you'll be fine. Like I said earlier, connect the bare wire to the bottom red and black terminals on the F1.

What you're gonna find out is that your Klipsch sounds a lot better and louder than the Onkyo speakers and your center channel will sound out of place. Eventually you're going to want to replace that center speaker. The C-1 center is the matching speaker for your F1 towers.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

If you want to spend more, you could go all the way up to the C-3.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

Now hook your speakers up and enjoy it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts