AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had a 3030 for a few years now with no problem. Decided to take a chance at the 4516 clearance from Sonicblue. On set-up I reach the server, it connects, goes through downloads and disconnects all fine. Then when going through set-up questions (what is connected to input 1, how do you dial out, etc. ) it reboots. I tried multiple times, and eventually contacted Sonicblue for RMA swap. Just got the new one and same exact thing. I've tried it in multiple locations and set ups in my house but same thing. Oh well, 30 hours will have to be enough

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well... you could give us some more information and we could try to help you... but it sounds like you have already made up your mind...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hmmm, that's strange. No problems here with my new firesale 4516. Since it happened with both units, perhaps the problem is infrastructure-related (i.e. your network)?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't see how it can be infrastructure related. It's modem connected. I tried it as a straight swap where my 3030 was, which is connected to DirectV and also a straight cable connection in another room. I'd give more info, not sure what is relevant

·
Registered
353 Posts
Have you done any piece by piece troubleshooting? (eg hook up just with the cable or just the directTV or on different inputs or SV vs RCA)

·
Registered
117 Posts
The #1 solution to any ReplayTV problem is to try putting a new image on the hard drive. That fixes most problems.......

·
Registered
127 Posts
Re-imaging the HD is a good suggestion if the warranty is out. These are new units though, so I was the guy, there is no way I would break my warranty.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brett Jason
I don't see how it can be infrastructure related. It's modem connected. I tried it as a straight swap where my 3030 was, which is connected to DirectV and also a straight cable connection in another room. I'd give more info, not sure what is relevant
The 4516 (I got one too) have a problem connecting via modem the first time. If you can quickly select a 7 digit number that will work. I had the issue and it was explained to me that the software that shipped has this issue.

If you can get to an ethernet connection and get a sw download from the server, replacing the SW shipped, you'll also be fine. Yes, it's a hassle, but after that first connection is accomplished, things will smooth out.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
good customer service, not.

The 2nd unit they sent me was refurbished (which I did not know) and now that this one is not working and I'm fed up, I just want my money back They are saying that since it's refurbished they can't return my money.

F... That, I'm fuming and waiting for a supervisor now.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Brett,

There's a problem I recall from when the 4500s first shipped where the modems were especially sensitive to the voltage on the phone line. It was fixed in the 4.3, build 29 or later build of software. Once the unit actually upgraded to 4.3, build 29 or later it went away.

The problem didn't seem to affect all phone lines. Is there any way you could possible hook the unit up via Ethernet to get the latest software version? Or, test the unit at a different location?

Additionally, there are a couple things you can try to work around the problem that have some success. You can try removing all telephony devices from your phone line during setup. You can also try the following: Disconnect the phone line during setup. Let the unit get a no dial tone error. Then, reconnect the phone line. Once it's finished the first connection and has the list of local #s. Disconnect the phone line again until it tries to call the local # you picked. Then, reconnect the phone line and have it try again.

The pretty confident that the unit you have is running 4.3, build 26 which doesn't have the fix. Most likely, your orignal unit was running build 18 or 26.

Lyndon

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you are still within the 30 day purchase window, they should return your money no matter how many refurbished units you were sent. Keep argueing until they give in.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You might want to try the following procedure to get your 4516 units working. YMMV.

Unplug the power for over 20 minutes. Verify all of your connections - phone line, cable, etc. Plug power in. Wait for the LED to stop blinking before pressing the power button.

Let the unit fully boot. Do NOT hit any of the buttons on the unit or remote until the red LED next to the power button quits blinking and goes dark. This includes NOT hitting the remote even though the screen says you can select menu or channel guide. Let it fully complete. It can take over 5 minutes.

Once the LED stops blinking and is dark you can power the unit up and go through setup again. If it doesn't work on the first try you might want to reset it to factory defaults and try again.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wait.. Brett said it connects fine and downloaded information just fine. However, when he is in the configuration screen.. the unit just reboots.

Brett, does it reboot after you make the configuration changes and it tries to dial out again?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Typically, if you get something back from warrenty you have like 30 days of coverage from the time you got it back even if its now past the original warrenty period. Dont think about it and send that puppy back. If you do you'll feel free, if you dont you'll feel like a coward. keep all your paperwork. I'd think if it happened again, they would do something special for you to make it right; they are human...

If they end up not being human(i doubt) at least you are training yourself to stick up for yourself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.