AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think it can be done......but can you wire 2 Ultra's together to put a 4 ohm load on a amp?

I know that you can wire each to either 1 ohm or 4 ohm, so does that mean that I would be putting either a 2 ohm, or 8 ohm load on the amp?

I currently have 2 QSC RMX 4050hd's, 1 per Ultra. Each 4050 can do 4k @ 4 ohm bridged. Im pretty sure 4k is too much for the ultra, so I would like to put them both on one amp, so that when I bridge it they will each see 2k. I have my 2 subs equidistant from the MLP so having them both on one channel isn't a problem.

Trying to sell one of the amps to fund a projector.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OP, rather then stacking the subs on one channel and bridging it you could run one on each channel in 2 channel mode. Less power @ 1300w, but it'd work...
Yeah....that was one of the options I was thinking about. Ill probably just sell both of them, and get a clone.

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
Ill probably just sell both of them, and get a clone.
Nonsense. Just run one bridged amp per sub and don't crank the amp all the way to full-power.
Just buy a multimeter and adjust your gains correctly to give 90volts when your upstream is maxed out.
Which is 2kW RMS. Which is what the LMS is rated for. (You can go as high as what winISD predicts for your box and XO.)

I wouldn't sell them.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nonsense. Just run one bridged amp per sub and don't crank the amp all the way to full-power.
Just buy a multimeter and adjust your gains correctly to give 90volts when your upstream is maxed out.
Which is 2kW RMS. Which is what the LMS is rated for. (You can go as high as what winISD predicts for your box and XO.)

I wouldn't sell them.
That is what I am doing now......but with the amp having the potential to put out 4k, and only using 2k, using half of the amp seems like a waste. I am currently volt limiting to 90v per your previous recommendations. I am thinking of selling to help fund a projector purchase.

The resale value on one of these amps is just about enough to get a clone. Then I wouldn't have any issues powering them.

Can you comment on running the 4050 (or any amp) at a lower recommended Independence? What could happen if I tried to either run the amp in 1ohm stereo, or 2 ohm bridged? I have heard you can do that with the speaker power amps, although the QSC's are not speaker power.....they are pretty solid amps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts