AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to someting different with my Zoomplayer setup. I have 2 sound cards active on my PC (Internal SoundMax and a Revo) and I would like to hook headphones to the SoundMax card and listen to movies that way at night. However, I have been able to configure zoomplayer to play sound through both soundcards (at differnt times, obvioulsy) without a problem. I just have to go in each time and change the soundcard that zoomplayer is using. I then thought that If I had 2 zoomplayer directories saved the diffent setup for each one, I could just launch the correct zoomplayer.exe and not have to worry about changing the filter setting for the different sound card. This doens't work, though. No matter which .exe I launch, Zoomplayer always remembers its last fillter settings. Is there any way to be able to auto launch 2 different filter settings on zoomplayer so I dont have to change the audio card I want to use each time?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can I have 2 zoomplayer folders on my computer, each with different filter settings?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Zoomplayer stores its settings in the registry. All zoomplayer instances will read this settings from the same location.

You could set your different filtersettings in zoomplayer, export the registry-hives and double-click the reg-files for different settings.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply. Interesting..how would I go about doing it that way?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Manually export your settings in zoomplayer. It will generate a reg-file inside the ZP-folder. Rename the file, alter your settings and export again.

Voila: Two reg-files with your different settings

·
Registered
342 Posts
There is a way to have two versions of Zoom Player installed, each pointing to a different registry key.

Create a file in your Zoom Player folder and name it zplayer.regpath and edit the file with Windows Notepad with something like
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\VirtuaMedia\\ZoomPlayerBeta

I do this when trying new beta's out...

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FakeFactory, Thanks. I'm trying this and I export my settings (verfied to work) from the DVD Setup portin of zoomplayer. I did this twice for the 2 different options (soundcards i want to use) and saved them as Setup1.reg and Setup2.reg. When I double click on it, it starts in media mode with an erro message "unable to create filters". From there, If I go into player options and then regiester them, it works fine. Any idea why it is giving me an error message from when I double click on Setup1.reg?

uk.steve I don't quite understand. Are you saying make a copy of my zoomplayer folder, and in thay copy, create a text file called zplayer.regpath with the HKEY_Current....that you have listed? Where does the VirtualMedia path come from? Is there some original .regpath txt file that I should be changing, or am I creating it completely from scratch? Thanks for the help

·
Registered
714 Posts
Barhoram, what uk.steve is talking about is that Zoom Player lets you set where in the registry the configuration data is stored. You do this by creating a zplayer.regpath file in the same directory as zoomplayer.exe. You can have two simultaneous setups in the registry and access them by just adding or removing this file. Alternatively, you can keep multiple copies of Zoom Player installed, each with a differnet regpath file. If there is no regpath file, Zoom Player uses its default registry path. By default, Zoom Player does not have a registy path file, and thus, uses the default registry path.

DanW

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks. I,m really dense on this for some reason. So for 2 copies of zoomplayer, I can just leave the original one alone and it will use default registry path, and create zplayer.regpath for the copy. Then, when I change the decoder options for thecopy of zoomplayer, it will save them in the path set by zplayer.regpath--and the default ones will stay in tact?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thats correct :)

When you install Zoom Player it writes all the settings in your registry in the default location HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\VirtuaMedia\\ZoomPlayer

I have two directories

c:\\utils\\Zoom Player\\

and

c:\\utils\\Zoom Player Beta\\

I created a file in the Zoom Player Beta directory and named it zplayer.regpath and with the text HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\VirtuaMedia\\ZoomPlayerBeta

If you look in regedt32.exe (windowsXP) and go to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\VirtuaMedia subkey you should then see both of the different settings for each installation of Zoom Player :)

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What type of file is zoomplayer.regpath supposed to be? I copied my Zoomplayer directory to a directory called Zoomplayer2 and created a text file called zoomplayer.regpath with the text :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\VirtuaMedia\\ZoomPlayerBeta

I then ran the zoomplayer.exe from the copied directory and changed the filters to the different audio decoder I wanted. But, When I go back and run zoomplayer from the original directory, those settings have been changed. I do see the registry entry for the original zoomplayer, but no other one has been created. What am I doing wrong here?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Typo on my part...it was called zplayer.regpath. Any ideas why this is not working? It is not adding the entry to the registry

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
still can't get this to work..noting is being added to the registry??..can someone give me a quick step on setting this up. Much thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
714 Posts
In windows explorer, click with the left mouse button on each of the folders listed on the left pane of the window until you are in the directory above the zoom player directory. In the list of files (the right pane of the window), left click once on the zoom player directory to highlight it. Move the mouse so that the pointer is on top of the highlighted zoom player directory. Now hold down the right mouse button and then drag the folder until it is in an empty part of the file pane. Now release the right mouse button. You should get a popup menu. Use the mouse pointer to highlight "copy" on the popup menu. Press and release the left mouse button.

That should make a copy of the zoom player folder entitled something like "copy of zoom player". Once windows has finished copying files, open up the windows application "notepad" its probably on the start menu under "Accessories". Select the main window area of the Notepad application you just opened by placing the mouse pointer over it and left clicking. Type in the following line:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\VirtuaMedia\\ZoomPlayer2

Now on the menu bar on the top of the notepad window find the "File" menu item and place your mouse pointer over it. Click and release the left mouse button. Move your mouse pointer down to the word "Save As" on the menu that results from the last action. A dialog window should pop up that allows you to select where to save the file. On the top of this dialog there will be a list of folders double click with the left mouse button on each of the folders listed until you are in the "copy of zoom player" folder. Once you have done that, move the mouse pointer to the part of dialog that is labled "File name". Now click and release with the left mouse button. Now type in the name "zplayer.regpath". Now move the mouse pointer over the button on the bottom right side of the dialog that says "Save". Click and release the left mouse button. Now you can close notepad, you can do this by clicking the "X" in the top right corner of the window. Go back to windows explorer and move mouse pointer over the "copy of zoom player" folder in the right pane of the window. Now double click with the left mouse button. Now move the mouse pointer over the file "zplayer.exe". Double click with the left mouse button. A zoom player window should open, and it should be running with its own registry settings that are different from the other version of zoom player that you just copied.

DanW

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
btw, the current version of ZP will not accept a unicode file path for installations, it won't be able to find the regpath file if it's under a unicode path.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DanW. Thanks for the step by step instructions. However, I followed them exactly, and this still does not work!! Basically either zoomplayer.exe that I run remmebers the last filter settings that I setup whether I used the origianl zoomplayer or the copy. This is driving me crazy. I'm using a regiseterd version of Zoomplayer 3.1. I have verified that there is no registry added for VirtualMedia/Zoomplayer2. Is there something else I need to do to have this registry entry added for the copy.?? I followed your instructions exactly, start the copy of zoomplayer, set the filters, play a dvd, and exit. When I go back to the original zoomplayer, it picks up the settings I just changed. As I mentioned there is no entry added to the registry. Am I not saving something along the way?? Do I need to delete some file when I copy the zoomplayer folder. Any other ideas? Thanks. Drew

Thanks. Drew

·
Registered
714 Posts
barhoram, I don't know what to tell you other than trying a newer version of Zoom Player. I'm using 3.2 and 3.3, and it works fine for me. Maybe you are running into some old bug.

DanW

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.