AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to recall a procedure for having two machines in the same room but I can not find the thread. It was a way of setting one remote to only control one machine and the other remote to only control the other. Anyone know where this is documented? My Showstopper and ReplayTV 4040 are in the same room.

·
Registered
188 Posts
2 choices:

1) Get a multi remote like the Radio Shack 15-2105 (was 15-1994 which I use) and a JP1 cable (go to groups.yahoo.com and search for JP1). then you can set device codes to allow AUX1 and AUX2 devices on the remote to control a specific unit. I do this with 2 Showstoppers (panasonic branded replay). You have to remove power to the unit, then boot it up and with the remote set to one of the devices, for example, AUX1, press Power - the Replay will recognize commands from AUX1 and ignore AUX2 after that. Then repeat for AUX2 and the other unit.

Go to the jp1 group and search - there are good instructions and sample config files for programming the remote.

2) Before the JP1 approach some folks left one machine on and the other off. Then when you push power you toggle the machines...crude but works.

JP1 is the way to go. Search this forum for Jp1 and you will find stuff as well but all roads lead to the JP1 group and the amazing Robman's site at

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/index.shtml

·
Registered
188 Posts
whoops - meant Radio Shack 15-2104

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
If you're only using 4000s, there's another method: on the setup/243ZONE screen, give each of them a different 'lockout code'; this needs to be between 101 and 109 (I think -- maybe it was 100 and 110?). then, 10xZONE will 'lock' all the machines *except* the one whose lockout code you used. You unlock by using the lockout code (that name seems backwards to me too), which will in turn lock all the others.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All interesting solutions. Thanks! I thought I remember reading somewhere that there was a way to give each unit a unique remote "code". I must be thinking of some other gadget.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Not sure if I ws clear or now - the JP1 approach DOES give each unit a separate device on the remote. This works for the previous generation Replay and Showstoppers. Not sure if the 4xxx series still has the support for this.

Search this forum for "multiple units" or similar relevant words - there was a post along time ago from a Replay engineer who put the feature for the unique unit in the replaytv remote protocol...

·
Registered
529 Posts
No, you are correct, but as robotron said you gotta be willing to do some research and learn to program via the jp1 connection on your remote. It's not to difficult but will take some time. All the people on the Yahoo group are really nice and super helpful. You can use your showstopper remote, I believe (I think it has a jp1 connect). I did it (with a lot of help from Robman) and it works great.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Where can I get more info on the http://www.vela-music.com/replaytv/ internet remote? Do I enter the Cable Modems IP : Port # where Port # is the port that the Router forwards to the Replay?

Is this code available to run locally on an intranet?

Would be nice to connect with a wireless PDA...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
You enter the replay's local IP address, either the one you configured it with or the one the DHCP server gave it.

Technically, you can just save the HTML page and use a local copy of it, until the Replay's address changes -- I'm not sure if the author would care about the copy of not.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
GadgetGuy,

Did you get what you need from Robotron's post? JP1 is the answer to the question you were asking.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Glad to hear it. Thx to Rob and company at JP1 I have 4 Radio Shack remotes all multi-device enabled. I also have X10 lights so with one button I get the lights set, the TV on and at the right input, the Replay on with the channel guide up :) One other button shuts it all down :) Wicked stuff and no end of enjoyment pushing one button and presto !

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GadgetGuy
Thanks. Yes...
Quote:
Originally posted by robotron
Thx...
If this is something brand new and different... then it must be said:

Welcome to the Jihad !! Welcome to the Jihad !!

And for those not in-the-know this would be "The Robman's unconventional, and undeniably remote, underground society" :cool::cool:

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jtl
If you're only using 4000s, there's another method: on the setup/243ZONE screen, give each of them a different 'lockout code'; this needs to be between 101 and 109 (I think -- maybe it was 100 and 110?). then, 10xZONE will 'lock' all the machines *except* the one whose lockout code you used. You unlock by using the lockout code (that name seems backwards to me too), which will in turn lock all the others.
ACK! EEP! There's no "lockout code" option on 243-RZ! How do I set the unit code??!? (4504)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
You don't want lockout code, you want machine code. jtl will have to tell you if it isn't still 243 RZ from the setup screen? Only like 3 items in there, those 2 and HUD transparency.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
I have my Radio Shack 15-1994 set up with 3 Replay devices, code 1, 2, and 3, and none of them will control the box, even when the REMOTE LOCKOUT or MACHINE CODE is set.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.