AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After two months TX-SR707 decided to die. Cannot turn it on. When I turn it on it blinks and that's all.

Second Onkyo product to die in the last three months. First one got ACTUAL FIRE inside.

I see a trip to the warranty shop in my crystal ball.

Onkyo quality is down to the toilet.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
You sure you do not have a wiring or speaker issue?

On the current AVR, if you disconnect all the speakers does it then come on?

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/18264518

You sure you do not have a wiring or speaker issue?

On the current AVR, if you disconnect all the speakers does it then come on?

@JOHNinDENVER: No, I do not have a wiring or speaker issues. I disconnected all the wires, did a hard reset, left it w/o power for an hour and it still blinks when I try to turn it on.

@patrickgerry: I don't connect it to the outlets, I connect it to the UPS. My 5 year old Onkyo HTIB receiver is connected to the same UPS as the previous two. It is quite happy except it skips the sound for the DirecTV commercials (which is actually a good thing). But even with the bad outlet it is not supposed to die a sudden death, let alone to catch a fire inside.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Sorry to hear about the problem. I think you are just having bad luck. I have an older Onkyo TX-8410 that is close to 20 years old and is still working fine. My TX-SR805 has also been trouble free. Knock on wood. Don't give up on Onkyo. They make some really good products.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by galileo2000 /forum/post/18263387

After two months TX-SR707 decided to die. Cannot turn it on. When I turn it on it blinks and that's all.

Second Onkyo product to die in the last three months. First one got ACTUAL FIRE inside.

I see a trip to the warranty shop in my crystal ball.

Onkyo quality is down to the toilet.

I see your 707 w/ blinking lights and raise you a 3007 that turned off and now won't turn back on, not even with blinking lights. owned it since middle of November. Sent mine out to service through Best Buy. Selling it the second I get it back. 100% agree with your assessment of Onkyo's quality, or lack thereof. Owned Denon, Pio Elite, Yamaha, HK and now Onkyo. Onkyo is on the bottom of the list to be certain. They lure you in with impressive amplifier specs and cramming more features than necessary into the box but its all to sacrifice overall quality/reliability. They've released 3 fw updates so far and some of the issues for mine still havent been remedied. Sorry, not trying to threadjack, just figrued I'd piggyback vent.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel /forum/post/18306909

Sorry to hear about the problem. I think you are just having bad luck. I have an older Onkyo TX-8410 that is close to 20 years old and is still working fine. My TX-SR805 has also been trouble free. Knock on wood. Don't give up on Onkyo. They make some really good products.

My 5 year old HTIB Onkyo and 3 year 605 Onkyo are fine. I am not surprised your 20 year old is running strong.

Up until not too long ago it was made in Japan and used quality components.

My estimate is Onkyo is paying the warranty service repair facility something close to the cost of the brand new receiver, so they make zero profit on the sales.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlineRonin /forum/post/18307247

I see your 707 w/ blinking lights and raise you a 3007 that turned off and now won't turn back on, not even with blinking lights. owned it since middle of November. Sent mine out to service through Best Buy. Selling it the second I get it back. 100% agree with your assessment of Onkyo's quality, or lack thereof. Owned Denon, Pio Elite, Yamaha, HK and now Onkyo. Onkyo is on the bottom of the list to be certain. They lure you in with impressive amplifier specs and cramming more features than necessary into the box but its all to sacrifice overall quality/reliability. They've released 3 fw updates so far and some of the issues for mine still havent been remedied. Sorry, not trying to threadjack, just figrued I'd piggyback vent.

My feelings exactly, just add their newly obtained culture of the manufacturing + newly obtained assembly lines.

Unfortunately it is the same with the Denon etc.

They are giving up the name recognition etc. just to make a quick buck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a 707 which has now blown up on me twice. It blew the first time after about 7 months of constant use, and now again after it was warranty repaired another 4 months later.

What is the possibility of Onkyo replacing the entire unit? It's an obvious flaw in this particular unit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My 706 is acting really weird. After I turn it on it sometimes causes the speakers to crack. On top of that after I turn it on it takes a couple of minutes for the audio to come on, it takes an additional couple of minutes for the video to come on. It does this with both my dvr and my ps3, it also does it with both my television and my projector.

I have had this receiver for almost three years. In my opinion a receiver that costs as much as this one should last much, much longer. I'm researching new receivers now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts