AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Knight's Tale was a lot of fun, but why would they give it a superbit treatment? :confused:

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Quote:
Knight's Tale was a lot of fun, but why would they give it a superbit treatment?
Agreed! I thought the original DVD release was already a great transfer and excellent soundtrack, so how much better can the Superbit be? I know it'll have a DTS track which the first release didn't, but I'm not sure what other incremental gains there could be.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm laughing....... ANACONDA !?!?!?!?!?!?

WOW... VERY funny. I, for one usually like B-movies very much but this one sucks (IMHO, of course).

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stephane Bervas
I'm laughing....... ANACONDA !?!?!?!?!?!?

WOW... VERY funny. I, for one usually like B-movies very much but this one sucks (IMHO, of course).
;) Stephane, I thought ANACONDA really bites, pun intended, the bottom of the barrel that is. Sony's strategy for SB's is so transparent. Most of the releases have been for titles that haven't sold well previously or have slowed to a crawl. "...Where's the beef..." ??????? Stephane, isn't granting Anaconda 'B' status overly generous? I can take alot of Ed Wood's films way more serious than ANACONDA! Best wishes!

·
Registered
369 Posts
to be fair, i can see how it could be confusing to columbia execs. they release anaconda superbit,

and say, make X amount of dollars on it. or alternatively, they release a (better) title that would

generate more interest and therefore more sales. lets say, they make X*10 dollars.

so, what to do. do they try and make X dollars or X*10 dollars.

i guessing these are the same brains behind "panning and scanning only" non-J6P titles.

of course, i could be wrong. maybe they've adopted the "one potato, two potato" business model for superbit.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
So I am guess they won't be releasing Black Hawk Down in SBD for a LONG time, correct? Anaconda? Tell me you are kidding! :(

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really hope the special edition of BLACK HAWK DOWN due perhaps (...) for the winter will feature DTS and NO extras on disc one. this will make us able to wait for the superbit :D :D

frankly, they should do this SE as a superbit SE right away.

there surely are braindead guys at the studios... in a economy that is soon seeing a double dip recession ( where the consumers drops his shoe... ), studios should have a bit more consideration for consumers and a reality check: buying 3 times a movie is big NO NO now !

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Isn't Anaconda Jennifer Lopez' breakthrough movie? That's gotta be why they released it as a Superbit. They figure Big Star= Bigger Bucks. Nevermind that it sucked and that JLO can't act very well.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This is one of the first DVDs I bought for my new HT, based upon a recommendation somewhere on AVS. I checked with Roger Ebert first. Here's what he said:

" 'Alone among snakes, anacondas are unique. After eating their prey, they regurgitate in order to eat again.'

"This information is included in the opening titles of 'Anaconda,' and as the words rolled across the screen I heard a chuckle in the theater. It came from me. I sensed with a deep certainty that before the movie was over, I would see an anaconda regurgitate its prey. Human prey, preferably.

" 'Anaconda' did not disappoint me. It's a slick, scary, funny Creature Feature, beautifully photographed and splendidly acted in high adventure style. Its snakes are thoroughly satisfying. The most dreaded predator of the Amazon, we learn, the anaconda can grow to 40 feet in length, and crushes its prey before engorging it whole (so whole that it eats an entire jaguar, leaving behind only a single poignant eyeball).

"Voight's river rat is always on the delectable edge of overacting. He sneers, he frowns, he grimaces, he utters ominous pronouncements ('So young--and yet so lethal,' he says, as a baby snake sinks its teeth into a fingertip). This is a daring performance: Voight, a serious actor, isn't afraid to pull out the stops as a melodramatic villain, and his final scene, which he plays with a wink, will be remembered wherever great movie exits are treasured."

Me, I was disappointed. Voigt was very good. The movie itself was weak.

The first sighting of the Anaconda itself looks, on my PJ (a Piano), like a black rubber hose hurtling out of the Amazon. There are no scales on the skin. In later scenes I can see the scales. Maybe this movie was recommended as a test of balck detail, I don't recall. Do any of you remember that scene, and whether you can see the scales?

Maybe I should buy the SB eidtion to see them. :)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
As I recall, Anna Conda had her tongue pretty filmly in cheek. Being a bad movie was most of its point. And Jon Voigt was way past the edge in his performance. I'm glad to see him back and getting lots of work.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jeroen

you acted judiciously :D 'cause I think there's a superbit along the road, probably this year ( hoping ). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey

I got too the original release. really no advantage to get caught with this "new" release indeed.

and no EE as you say and the dolby is powerful.

if you want another underated scifi flick with great picture and superb sound, check SCREAMERS though this one could also, who knows, be superbitted later on :D

·
Registered
830 Posts
What is wrong with these people?

What is their game strategy? Sell as little as possible?

I'm trying to buy ONE superbit DVD yet have still to find a compelling reason.

T.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I want DAS BOOT, split over two RSDL discs (or DVD18) with NO ENGLISH DUB. Instead, defaulting to the fantastic DD5.1 soundtrack. The current flipper is a major pain in the ass, defaulting to the English audio, forcing you to go to the menu on side 2 and change all the settings (it starts the film be default, in English). I refused to buy it because of this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Matt - i thought columbia re-released this title on a dual layer, so no flippin' required. (although this would be unusual for columbia - sensible decision).

still, if not, no reason to pass up on this DVD surely ? appart from some compression issues, it's pretty good. besides, can't see this one getting the superbit treatment. more chance of seeing a superbit Glitter. (shudder)

[Glitter is columbia, so it could happen :(]

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DAS BOOT needs a superbit treatment. I don't like that much the video on the current edition... poor compression.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I'm more concerned about *new* transfers being used, rather than recycling the older downconversions to 480i. Desperado SuperBit looks downright inspiring, unlike The Fifth Element and Air Force One. If Columbia is going to release their cruddy, older titles, at least give us new transfers. No? Than I expect EE and an overall look not in the same league as Warner's new, vanilla releases. It seems Columbia wants to use "SuperBit" as a marketing gimmick for their titles that have zero cult status. I'll pass.

·
Registered
369 Posts
i'm starting to feel a lot of resentment towards this studio (columbia nostar). it almost feels as if they're rubbing these superbits in our faces, as if to say "hey look, this is how all of our dvds could [and should] look". and to further mock the situation, they choose titles like anaconda. that's just mean.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.