AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some basic numbers if I normally re-encode video at 1022bps using DivX, about what could I expect to be able to reduce this too if I change to dual pass. I'm asking because space is at a premium, yet I do not want to sacrifice quality and I thought that dual pass might help?

Thanks,

ERIC

· Registered
1,518 Posts
That's very complicated and depends on your resolution, framerate, (de)interlacing, filtering, and the type of material. Give us the specifics and we can make suggestions. I'd start with this one: use XviD instead, with these settings:

In the Profile @ Level settings, check Adaptive Quantization, GMC, and Closed GOV, and uncheck Packed Bitstream. In the Advanced Settings box, check Use Chroma Motion and under Quantization tab change all the 1's to 2's but leave all the 31's alone, then check Trellis Quantization. On the Motion tab setting the Motion Search Precision and VHQ Mode to higher numbers will increase quality but slow down encoding time. Back on the main config page select either a Target Size or Target Bitrate.

You're guaranteed better quality at any bitrate or any number of passes than with DivX. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.