AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi !


I live in an old appartment. I have three prongs outlet but there's no ground connected to them,. To be safe i'm looking for a televison that only gave two prongs...so this way the television won't need a ground to be safe and work properly. I'mlooking for a 40-46 inch size television...if you know any good model that have two prongs please let me know !


Thanks alot !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostaky /forum/post/14330055


Hi !


I live in an old appartment. I have three prongs outlet but there's no ground connected to them,. To be safe i'm looking for a televison that only gave two prongs...so this way the television won't need a ground to be safe and work properly. I'mlookinf for a 40-46 inch sixe television...if you any good model that have two prongs please let me know !


Thanks alot !!

buy a normal 3 prong tv. Buy an adaptor that converts 3 prong to 2 prong from any store such an home depot. (only a few dollars tops). The 2 prong adaptor will have a green metal piece that connects to the center screw of the outlet that holds the plastic outlet cover on. Now you are grounded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi59 /forum/post/14330110


buy a normal 3 prong tv. Buy an adaptor that converts 3 prong to 2 prong from any store such an home depot. (only a few dollars tops). The 2 prong adaptor will have a green metal piece that connects to the center screw of the outlet that holds the plastic outlet cover on. Now you are grounded.

Not true...from what i've read everywhere this doesn't provide a ground at all...thanks anyway !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostaky /forum/post/14330147


Not true...from what i've read everywhere this doesn't provide a ground at all...thanks anyway !

It may, or it may not, that's the problem. Unless you can verify it's ground you have to assume it is not. Ironically (but not by accident), it is usually in homes that ARE wired for 3 prong outlets that have the center screw grounded. For sure there is a ground point at the power box to your building , and a dedicated ground cable could be run but there are other alternatives.


Using an isolation transformer is one, and checking out displays at retailers, of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we can't see the plug at the vast majority of dealer..that's why i'm asking the question here....so i can make research about the qualituy of suggested television...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I,m asking to question here so i can make some research about television suggested to me...What is an isolation transformer ? does it requires installement...i'm realy not manual type !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostaky /forum/post/14330327


I,m asking to question here so i can make some research about television suggested to me...What is an isolation transformer ? does it requires installement...i'm realy not manual type !

Didn't you ask the same question 3 weeks ago? There were plenty of good suggestions in that thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostaky /forum/post/14330327


I,m asking to question here so i can make some research about television suggested to me...What is an isolation transformer ? does it requires installement...i'm realy not manual type !

Should be plug an play.. you might contact the manufacturers, etc. and see if they have ones designed to plug into 2 prong outlets.



Go to amazon and search for 'isolation transformers' under the electronics category. I tried to provide a link but this site is blocking part of it.


I don't think anyone knows more than you which displays have 2 prongs or not, except the ones they own of course.....you might hit up some of the forum vendors by email for that info, if they carry the brands that interest you. They would know if their floor models have 2 or 3 prongs.

I know audiophiles who use cheater adapters without grounding them, claiming it gives them less noise. Of course, there is some risk not having them grounded. Not sure you want to do with a plasma display.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1974 /forum/post/14330356


Didn't you ask the same question 3 weeks ago? There were plenty of good suggestions in that thread.

No that wasn't the same questions...and there were no advice about any brand oftelevision
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoaddikt /forum/post/14330417



I don't think anyone knows more than you which displays have 2 prongs or not, except the ones they own of course......

That's why i have ask this question.. for people telling me if their televison have it !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
Just go buy a tv go to home depot get a plug adapter and be done and stop asking the same questions or variations of it. Its fine it really is to plug it in that way, just plug in the tv with a adapter and be done already and don't ask the same question again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tostaky /forum/post/14330771


No that wasn't the same questions...and there were no advice about any brand oftelevision

Open the phonebook, call and ask a LICENSED ELECTRICIAN rather than asking the same questions over and over on avs.


If this issue is so important then pay a few bucks for an electrician to come by your apartment and verify the situation and make suggestions.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,995 Posts
It would seem at this point you have enough suggestions along with recommended resources to go for some good answers.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top