AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, two quick questions before I start researching..

1. Will DVD playback look better through a projector or HDTV?

2. Is a 16x13x8 room large enough for a projector, if I choose to go this route?

Movies and music are my only goals of this project, I'd like both to be the best that I can get them. Thanks

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacco

Depends on who you ask, the quality, calibration, and setup of the equipment can make or break any system.

According to the fellow that calibrated my Mitsubishi WT46809 (46" RPTV.) RPTV has the edge right now, as far as sharpness and depth of black level. He thinks the plasma screen TVs will, in a generation or two, be better.

2. Is a 16x13x8 room large enough for a projector, if I choose to go this route?

Don't have an answer for you on this one, but I'm sure someone else here will...

Movies and music are my only goals of this project, I'd like both to be the best that I can get them. Thanks

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacco

This is definitely a point of contention on these forums. To really appreciate the differences, I think that you have to consider the size of the screen that you want. If you want as large as you can get, then a projector is the way to go. Also, you have to understand that DVD playback is at a much lower res than HDTV (for now), so you're not going to realize all that extra resolution. Now....that's all for the neutral advice. :D

I personally prefer projectors in any case. The "WOW"- factor of a projector is worth every penny.....just picture sitting on your couch w/ a beer in hand watching Lord of The Rings on a 100" inch wide screen....mmmmmm. Plus, RPTV big-screens cost a good bit more than many of the cost-effective PJs out there. My buddy has a Sony rear-projection HDTV (bigscreen) and I'm not really a fan of the picture quality (not very crisp/clear). DVDs on my X1 blow it away. Plus, though my X1 does very well w/ HDTV, the RPTVs that I've seen can't compare w/ something like a Sony HS10 w/ HDTV. I know that many will snap back w/ different examples of RPTVs that can hold their own, but the average-Joe RPTV from BB, etc, can't hold it's own against a good high-res projector. Yes, my flame suit is on..... :D

Your room dimensions are fine for a projector. Just be sure to check the stats on the particular PJ you look at to make sure it's throw distance stats work for your room.

You may want to repost this one over in the display section. I hop back and forth between the two forums. The existing posts and the people in general over there will be able to answer any possible question you could have about projectors.

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your inputs,

I've got two areas in mind if I use a projector, one will be under 100" the other will be over 100".

I'm going to try to find out if, coming out of computer, would going into a digital input on a RPTV, or a projector, will suit my tastes, as movies rule and I want that "WOW" factor when I look at the picture and hear the sound. I'll check out the display section too! :cool:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quick Hint: You can pick up a PJ right now for under $1K that will kick butt w/ DVDs. Bring it home, play a couple of movies and then return it if you don't like it. Bare minimum, it's an easy way to check it out....most of the retail stores will take it back according to normal return policies (be sure to check out). Even if you decide to go that route, you can easily return it, research PJs better, and then buy one once you are ready to pull the trigger. It's what many in the display forum have done. It's one of the perks of PJs versus RPTV....easy to return. :D

Good Luck w/ the decision.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.