AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you run the .1 channel to all your subs?

How are your subs arranged? (front and back, stacked..etc)

Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I am not using the .1 channel, I've set the LR channels to large and use an external crossover (and time delay and PEQ) to build 2 real full range LR loudspeaker from my 2 monitors and 2 subs (15" with external amp as well). The monitors are well into the room and the 2 subs are in the 2 front corners.

Note that before building this setup I had for a while other configurations (1 sub on .1, 2 sub on .1 with and without EQ) and despite I still have a limited experience with my last setup, I can safely say that it outperforms anything I had before.

IMHO this is the best way to go (for both 2 channel music and HT) but it can definitely be an expensive setup (I am using a active digital crossover/delay/PEQ and 2 DAC's behind it).

Michel

·
Registered
27,015 Posts
My system is movie only.

Four Citation 7.4 subs.

All split off the sub output on my Meridian. The processor directs all bass below 80 hz plus LFE through that output.

Much more impact delivered as 4 subs work together.

Jeff

·
Registered
784 Posts
Four 12" subs in 2.5 CF enclosures.

One dedicated to LFE and bass from the center which is re-directed to the LFE channel. This one needs to be bigger! The mains are run large and each has a sub with its own crossover to the the mains (ProAc Response 1sc monitors) which are positioned for proper time alignment and best imaging. One sub for the rears.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use three subs. The first is placed to the right in between center and the front right speaker (as you face the screen), and is connected to the processor. The second is in the back of the room, about a 1/3 of the distance from the right wall (again as you face the screen) and the left wall, and is daisy chained off the first. The third is on the left wall about 1/3 of the distance from the screen and the back wall, and is daisy chained off of the second sub.

I'm still tweaking locations, but currently prefer this configuration. I use the system for a combination of music (65%) and movies. However, this really shouldn't matter, except for source.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michel,

Is your .1 information redirected to your mains since you do not use the output from your processor? I hope I understand you right, as I've always have heard that the .1 channel contains information that is not present in any other channel.

Tom,

Do you run your rears as full range speakers using the subs crossover?

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Glimmer,

My processor is set to NO SUB and front are set to large (others channels are set to small). In this case the .1 is redirected to the mains.

Michel

·
Registered
784 Posts
Yes, I run the rears full range and use the crossover in the sub.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Have you guys found any bass effects to be directional in the front and/or rears? Do you guys think it is not a good idea to put all the subs together in 1 corner? Thanks.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks, with two built in subs and one dedicated sub, I have options I hadn't thought of. I like the idea of full range surrounds or I could run my fronts in full and still have my dedicated sub for LFE from my center and surrounds. Right now all subs are hooked into the sub output.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Bob,

I've placed all the subs in a corner, and you get the maximum bass output that way. With 4 12's in the corner, I can do better than 115 dB at 20 Hz!

Yes, I can definitely localize bass left/right and front/rear. It's a minor effect, as most of the localization cues come from the mains. But there is a positive difference with stereo subs.

Sub placement with multiple subs is really hard. I've got the luxury of having a MLSSA audio analyzer, so I can move subs around to flatten room modes, and measure the room response.

As an example, if you place two subs in opposite corners of a room, up against the tri-corner boundary, they will cancel each other out. You have to invert the phase of one of them 180 degrees. This happens all the time, to a lesser extent, with stereo subs. So you have to really watch placement and experiment.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have three subs and have tried many positions and crossovers the best for me is one sub in the front center of your left and right speakers next to your center channel one halfway along the left wall or right and one 1/4 of the way along the back wall opposite from the one on the side wall I cross them over with my proccesor at 80hz for movies and 65hz for music it works well I get a lot of punch my room is 14 by 23 with 8 ft ceilings and concrete floors.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
TR,

Would you be able to post some melissa graphing showing the placement variations you tried? It's interesting to note that you feel a *stereo* bass effect is important

·
Registered
784 Posts
Tom,

I'll see what I can dig up. My file names seemed descriptive at the time.....;}

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What equipment is necessary to measure 115db/20hz? I've read some sub specs. that show results like this such as 79db/20hz, 90db/20hz, and I'm beginning to understand... a little. From what I do know, 115db/20hz would loosen my fillings! I'd like to know what I'm getting so I can make adjustments.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My processor is set to NO SUB and front are set to large (others channels are set to small). In this case the .1 is redirected to the mains.

Is this true for all DD processors? I listen to music more than watch movies, and this would be a big win for me if I could route all bass to the mains and handle the xover there.

Kelly

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Glimmer, all you need is a RS SPL meter and a test CD or tone generator. Add 7.5dB to the display of the RS meter at 20hz for an accurate number.Remember to be careful running test tones into any speaker at high levels though.

Kstir,

that should be SOP for all DD decoders afaik,

TV

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Kelly,

Yes, as TV said redirected bass standard on all DD processors.

I do exactly the same and redirect bass to mains (mains to Large, SUB=NO) with an electronic xover on my mains and a parametric EQ on the sub signal path out of the xover.

In my case I use 1 sub and actually SUM L&R sub channels into a single bass output at the electronic xover.

This way I get the use of 1 sub with both HT and 2-channel (xover at 60Hz, one octave above my mains 31Hz specs). I also have a stereo preamp for 2-channel music connected to my DD/DTS processor in my HT setup.

BruceD

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.