AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New H/K 7200 owner, and I have 2 questions as I set it up. First, is there any way to get sound from the speakers with headphones plugged into the jack. The dennon that this repalced would let me switch headphone mode on or off from the remote, so I could keep them plugged in, and just switch the speakers off when I wanted to listen to the headphones. As I see it on the 7200, the speakers are automatically switched off when you plug headphones in. I don't really want to have to plug and unplug the headphones each time..any way aroudn this?

Secondly, Is there any of the surround modes that take advantage of a 7.1 setup for plain DTS or DD (5.1) dvds? I see Logic 7 only works on analog inputs...all 7 channels work on DD-EX and DTS-ES dvd's, but the rear surrounds arent used on "regular" DD or DTS? Any way to get sound on these types of DVD's from the other 2 channels?

Thanks - Drew.

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
New H/K 7200 owner, and I have 2 questions as I set it up. First, is there any way to get sound from the speakers with headphones plugged into the jack. The dennon that this repalced would let me switch headphone mode on or off from the remote, so I could keep them plugged in, and just switch the speakers off when I wanted to listen to the headphones. As I see it on the 7200, the speakers are automatically switched off when you plug headphones in. I don't really want to have to plug and unplug the headphones each time..any way aroudn this?

Secondly, Is there any of the surround modes that take advantage of a 7.1 setup for plain DTS or DD (5.1) dvds? I see Logic 7 only works on analog inputs...all 7 channels work on DD-EX and DTS-ES dvd's, but the rear surrounds arent used on "regular" DD or DTS? Any way to get sound on these types of DVD's from the other 2 channels?

Thanks - Drew.
1. No. The 7200 works that way, for the headphones to work they need to be plugged In/Out.

2. For Logic 7 .1 decoding, it works very nicely with a digital PCM stream.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. On the answer to your second question, Are you saying that for a DTS or DD dvd, I can get 7.1 sound out of the receiver if I use the 2 channel PCM audio track and Logic 7? If I do this, will the other 5 channels be the same as the DD or DTS track on the DVD? The reason I'm asking this is that I play DVDs through my computer and can either feed the 7200 from the sound card's SPDIF jack digitally, or I can decode the DD or DTS in the PC, and feed 7.1 channels to the 7200 via analog. If I chosse this route, I can do "virtual 7.1" out of the computer on 5.1 material. This just keeps the 5.1 channels the same, and duplicates the surrounds on the surround back channels. I guess my question is if there is any way to do the same thing on the 7200 via it's digital in?

·
Registered
12,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
Thanks for the reply. On the answer to your second question, Are you saying that for a DTS or DD dvd, I can get 7.1 sound out of the receiver if I use the 2 channel PCM audio track and Logic 7? If I do this, will the other 5 channels be the same as the DD or DTS track on the DVD? The reason I'm asking this is that I play DVDs through my computer and can either feed the 7200 from the sound card's SPDIF jack digitally, or I can decode the DD or DTS in the PC, and feed 7.1 channels to the 7200 via analog. If I chosse this route, I can do "virtual 7.1" out of the computer on 5.1 material. This just keeps the 5.1 channels the same, and duplicates the surrounds on the surround back channels. I guess my question is if there is any way to do the same thing on the 7200 via it's digital in?
Firstly, for this discussion the PCM stream is a stereo/2-channel downmix, which means that the master source which could also be available on the DVD as 5.1 (DD or DTS) is mixed down to stereo. An example of this is the Eagles's DVD "Hell Freezes Over" the audio tracks are encoded in BOTH DTS 5.1 and PCM. When a PCM stream is input to the 7200, its DSP will automatically detect PCM and go to Logic 7 5.1 music, if the SBL/SBR speakers are ON and the SB amplifiers switched SBL/SBR then you will get Logic 7 7.1 music. The PCM stream can come from different sources CDs, DVDs, cable box, sat tuner or the PC. If the PC does in fact output PCM through a SPDIF out jack, then the source audio will already be downmixed to stereo/2-channel. Here it depends upon PC configuration and brand of sound card, as there several different types.

Regarding Logic 7's 5.1 or 7.1 output, it will sound different than the same release in 5.1 (DD or DTS)... as it considers the source material to be stereo and does its decoding/steering of each channel differently. If the audio stream is available in 5.1 DD or DTS use it, if not then Logic 7 does a great job for delivering a multi-channel 5.1 or 7.1 sound field from either a stereo PCM or analog source.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. Thanks. That clears things up. So basically, with the 7200 and a regular DTS or DD dvd (5.1 only), there is no way to get 7.1 sound to the rear surrround speakers, and they won't be used? Isn't ther any way to just tell them to duplicat the sound being delivered to the L and R surround channels?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.