AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is possible that I may purchase one of these within the next 2 days. I found a store with them in stock.

Question #1 - How do I check the firmware version and what version is preferred? (okay that's 2 questions in one)

Question #2 - I am looking at the 50", I think I've read here that there are two model #'s, do they both have the Faroudja chip? The salesmen told me only a certain one has the chip and it costs more.

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
164 Posts
1. You can't check the firmware until you enter the service menu. You can try to see if the salesman will let you do that at the store. Turn off TV, wait 15secs or more and press mute, 1, 8, 2, and power in quick succession. Firmware version and date should appear at the bottom of the screen (along with SM). Most people have either 211 or 214; the newer ones have 302. I have 214 and it is fine (211 does not support discrete codes). Note however that if you enter the SM in your unit and tell Samsung about it, it will VOID YOUR WARRANTY!

2. The two 50" HLN models are identical internally. Only difference is 507W has a black bezel and 5065 has silver. The salesman either does not know or is BSing you. 507s are being sent to "high end" stores (CC, Tweeter, etc.) and 5065s to others (BB, Sears, etc.).

Good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
1.You can access the service menu by hitting Mute-1-8-2-Power with the TV off, when it come on it should be in the service menu showing the firmware version at the bottom.

2. They ALL have the Farouja chip.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by branas
Question #1 - How do I check the firmware version and what version is preferred? (okay that's 2 questions in one)
You want firmware version 214 or higher for discrete commands. There is no way to tell exactly when the HLN507 or the HLN5065 got that firmware version. I'm sure I've read reports from new owners of the HLN507 and probably the HLN5065 too.

You would probably be OK with any set built in August or later -- maybe even July.

A 30 day unconditional return policy and/or a written promise to get you one with discrete commands (214 or greater) should work depending on the type of store you are shopping in.

I think a store can get the manufacture date without opening the box so if you wait for later dates you would be safe too.

If you are going into the SM these instructions will help you do it without doing a power off.

Any one using these suggestions should know that I am passing on the wisdom of others and that I have no personal knowledge of the Samsung DLP TVs. I'm still waiting.

On the other hand I can recommend, without any reservations, recording all original SM settings before making changes.

****** Thanks to LCH for a clearer explanation than the one I wrote. 09/02/2003 ******

Turn Melody off in the user menu (allows entering the Service Menu from power On state without using a lamp cycle).

With the set ON, press Power-Mute-1-8-2-Power in quick succession.

(If the set is already off, just do Mute-1-8-2-Power )

The service menu should appear for the input you were viewing before keying the above sequence.

While in the service menu, you can change inputs with the TV/Video button to view the SM for other modes.

Use the CH up, CH down & select keys to navigate the Service Menu. Press MENU to return to the main Service Menu after viewing individual functions.

Later, you will use the VOL(+) & VOL(-) keys to change the SM values.

To Exit the SM, power off. Leave it off for several(30) seconds. (until all cooling activity is complete)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.