Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Option 2 (Episode/Speakercraft)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Room is roughly 20x25, with 25ft ceilings, and hardwood floors. Sony STR-DG920 is the receiver. Room has windows on back wall and front wall has steps going to second floor so my first choice of front in walls wont work, so here is what the two companies quoted me:

Option 1:

Definitive Technology XTRSSA3 3 channel sound bar (for center, LF, RF)

Definitive Technology UIW65 in wall speakers for rears

Definitive Technology SC4000 subwoofer

Option 2:

Episode ES-500T 3 channel sound bar (for center, LF, RF)

Speakercraft AIM LCR3 in wall speakers for rears

Episode Triple 8 subwoofer

If you could choose an option and why that would be helpful. I have researched for a few days now and there is a lot of information out there and I am overwhelmed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks crazyrob425, that was one of my worrys as well. I think I really need a 10" or 12". What are your thoughts on the other two speakers?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Personally I am not a fan of inwall speakers and all I heard were Polk RC85i and RC65i. Looking at the specs of both speaker sets what you like they are all requiring a really high crossover point. Not really ideal if you as me

As for your subwoofer you are going to need more than a 10" or 12". I would direct you to the subwoofer sub-forum to get advice on what is the right subwoofer for you. But be prepared for your wife to complain that its not cute and small like she wants. With a $900 on subwoofer alone there you can get a decent subwoofer from an internet direct copmany while it will not full do the job if will do better than the other 2 selected

·
Registered
1,146 Posts

Subwoofers -

Rythmik

SVS

HSU

Outlaw

- you go with any of these internet direct subwoofer companies and you will be very happy. With a room your size, I would get at least two subs.  

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
None of those systems look appealing. Like what was said above, get an internet direct sub. I would skip that installer, those systems are just horrid, and he will be peeved if you don't buy the brands he carries as there is bound to be a big markup on them. What's your budget? I would be looking at Hsu , Arx , and Ascend for starters, but there are lots of other great choices out there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys, subwoofer aside, what are your thoughts on the other speakers? I was hoping to budget around 1600 for the speakers, I know it's not a lot of money...but not a high roller, just someone who is looking for a decent setup that will work well given my placement issues and I am avoiding any speakers being on the floor or within reach of my two young sons who have this desire to pull and climb on everything. I will look into those sub suggestions for sure. If there is a wall mount speaker that is thin and will match the Thin TV you would recommend please let me know.

·
Banned
431 Posts
A sound bar for the front 3 speakers is a compromise. You just don't get much separation with the speakers being ~4ft apart. I realize this might be an aesthetic compromise but if you can do in or on wall speakers for the front it will be better. There are lots of options for both types.

There are good in wall speakers and poor ones just like any other speaker. Unfortunately, with open back in wall speakers the sound varies depending on the wall cavity size in which they are placed. Speakers sound different depending on the size box they are put in. If you can get enclosed in walls or a back box it is recommended but does raise cost. I checked each of the companies websites only Speakercraft has back boxes for some of their models. In fact in wall speakers have a lot of acoustic advantages over free standing speakers. One disadvantage of them is most can't be angled toward the listener.

In option 2, I am not sure why they just didn't use an Episode in wall speakers that match the sound bar. Maybe it is because the Speakercraft can angle a little. Subs don't have to match but if possible you want your other speakers to have a similar sound quality.

Those subs are small for that size room. Do you have a size or placement issue where the small subs were desired? I don't want to criticize the installer if small is what is desired.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb  /t/1520760/2-quotes-help-me-decide-on-speakers#post_24435831

A sound bar for the front 3 speakers is a compromise. You just don't get much separation with the speakers being ~4ft apart. I realize this might be an aesthetic compromise but if you can do in or on wall speakers for the front it will be better. There are lots of options for both types.

There are good in wall speakers and poor ones just like any other speaker. Unfortunately, with open back in wall speakers the sound varies depending on the wall cavity size in which they are placed. Speakers sound different depending on the size box they are put in. If you can get enclosed in walls or a back box it is recommended but does raise cost. I checked each of the companies websites only Speakercraft has back boxes for some of their models. In fact in wall speakers have a lot of acoustic advantages over free standing speakers. One disadvantage of them is most can't be angled toward the listener.

In option 2, I am not sure why they just didn't use an Episode in wall speakers that match the sound bar. Maybe it is because the Speakercraft can angle a little. Subs don't have to match but if possible you want your other speakers to have a similar sound quality.

Those subs are small for that size room. Do you have a size or placement issue where the small subs were desired? I don't want to criticize the installer if small is what is desired.

Great feedback, thank you so much this is helpful. I do not have a placement issue with the sub, nor a size concern. One of the things I asked for was an in wall speaker that has a tweeter that can angle. The problem for the front speakers is my TV sits on a wall with stairs to my second floor directly behind it so I have to work with 11 1/2" of stringer behind it I really don't want to cut into and rebrace. I could put the in walls in the front down low but it would likely look a little odd. The sub I will definitely change.

·
Banned
431 Posts
With in wall or in ceiling speakers you should get ones that angle both the woofer and tweeter. Angling one and not the other is kind of pointless. Although most don't angle much anyway. Plus in most designs the tweeter is above the vocal range so it doesn't help with dialogue which is most important. It sounds like on wall speakers or small book shelf type speakers that can be mounted on the wall and aimed at the listening area might work well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts