Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My Sony 61HS10 has only one RGBHV input which is now used by HTPC.

My Pioneer F727 uses second component input, which is not progressive and never will be.

Now, I have Denon w 2 component inputs and one output.

That's what I want to try:

- Put HTPC H/V directly to TV RGBHV;

- Put HTPC RGB into one Denon input;

- Put Pioneer into second Denon input.

- Put Denon component output into TV RGBHV input.

And then by selecting between Denon inputs I want to chose either4 DVD player or HTPC.

So my questions are:

- has anybody tried this before?

- Will it work you think?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anybody?

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
So is the RGBHV input on the TV the same as the progressive input (i.e. you tell the TV what format the input is)? The Denon should be able to switch the signals. One potential issue is if the delay through the switches is significant (i.e. it will mess up the sync timing between the H/V and RGB signals).

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
I've never heard of this being done before, but I have to give credit for creativity. I think the only way you'll know is to try it, just make sure to disconnect quickly if you get a mess on the screen.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Perhaps I need to be little more specific as of why I am doing this.

HTPC works just fine. However, 61HS10 allows to switch between 4:3 and 16:9 only in RGBHV input / mode.

Which means that all my anamorphic DVD's from Pioneer are stretched vertically while I am in 4:3 mode, and when I change to 16:9, HTPC is not happy and I don't have full screen.

I'll try it tonight and let you know what happens. Hopefully it won't burn my 61HS10:)

·
Registered
582 Posts
It will depend on whether the display can ignore the H+V sync inputs when using Component video.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And the answer is, unfortunately, no. HTPC is fine, however, when DVD is selected, H/V inputs mess things up, since TV thinks it's DVI, and it is not. Oh well.

·
Registered
850 Posts
How about using an autosensing switch which selects the appropriate video/audio signal based on whether a signal is present, and using it just for the H/V? If you hook up the RCA video jack on the switch to one of the RGB (or even a composite or svideo signal if your PC outputs one simultaneously with the component) and hook up the H/V cables to the switch's L/R audio jacks, it should pass through the H/V signals only when it senses the video signal. I don't know what kind of bandwidth H/V requires, but it might work.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great idea. What kind of auto-sensing box you would recommend?

In the meantime, I found the solution. It is not elegant, but it works. 2 RCA audio cables connected to H and V thru the extension F-to-F. When I need to switch to DVD, I just disconnect H/V from F-to-F, change RGB to Component, change 4:3 to 16:9, change Denon input to DVD - ummm, all my DVD's look great through progressive!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Or use an SVGA switch for video _plus_ the Denon receiver for audio.

1. Use an RGBHV breakout cable to connect the DVD output to the switch (H+V not connected to DVD player).

2. Use SVGA cable for PC->switch.

3. Use RBGHV breakout cable for switch->RPTV (H+V connected to RPTV).

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bart,

Switchbox + breakout cable was the most excellent idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work w/my Omnicube. Apparently it wants H/V and can't transfer just RGB (not that I understand why). There might be other switchboxes which casn do a trick, but Omni is what I have right now.

Once again, it was an excellent idea.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So IT FINALLY DID WORK!!!

The tr4ick was to convince Omnicube that second input has keyboard and mouse. I connected USB-PS2 cable to the USB port and yes!!!!I have my nice green signal coming out (and we all know what green signal means when RGB detects component).

Bart, I owe you one. I sincerely think you are a genius. I don't even need my wonderful Denon component switches anymore (actually, I'll go further and set it back to Video 4 with Denon if I ever need it).

So we know now that it can be done w/receiver alone;

But it's even better with the KVM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.