AVS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently installed aura bass shakers in my home theater. I'm tearing my hair out trying to calculate loads. My room arrangement is 3 chairs in the front row (lets call them shaker 1, 2 and) that is on carpeted concrete. The back row (seats 4, 5 and 6) is on a wooden riser.

Currently, I have the front in series, the back in series, and then I've paralleled them together to an SPA500 amp. By my calculations, this is a 6 ohm load which means the amp is giving out approximately 400 watts or 67 watts per shaker. The problem is that the front row doesn't shake as much on concrete. So, I'm thinking about splitting the rows and giving them each their separate amp.

IE, each will get a SPA250 which produces 100watts at 12 ohms (wiring the rows in series = 12 ohms). That would only give 33.3 watts per chair, correct? Would this totally defeat the purpose of trying to boost the signal to the front row? I currently have the gain set between 50-75% on my SPA500 setup.

As a side question, when doing series parallel, I tried running a positive from shaker 1 to the amp and a second wire from shaker 4 to the amp separately. Similarly, I run negative from 3 to amp and separate wire from 6 to amp. Would it be the same to run a wire from 1 to 3, and then 3 to amp (other side would be 3 to 6, and then 6 to amp). Also, the wires going from 1 to 3 (or 1 to amp) is about twice as long as 3 to amp. Same for other side. Does that make a difference for 14 gauge wire?

Thanks for the input.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts