AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My HTPC is comming along nicely. It's time to add PVR capabilities. I plan to use Hauppauge tuners. I will be using two satellite receivers. One for watching tv and the other for recording from. I am be using WinXP and Beyond TV. Beyond TV can control multiple tuners but my concern is this. Both Sat. receivers use the same IR remote codes so if i use a tuner card with multiple inputs (like the 250, 300, or 500 models) the IR output would issue the same codes to each receiver causing both receivers to change chanels at once? Can i overcome this by using two seperate single input tuners, each with it's own IR output, so that when it's time to watch TV, card "A" changes the chanel on rec "A", and when it's time to record, card "B" changes the chanel on rec "B", with out affecting each other. If a USB-URIT could be utilized to overcome this problem i have one of those too.

What is the best way to opperate two Sat. receivers?

Thanks, Craig

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm pretty sure the USB-UIRT has 2 IR dongle outputs so it should do what you want assuming you can program it. Likely, using 2 tuner cards would do it too since each would then work independently.

Peter

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The USB-UIRT has one output. my concern is that I have to somehow get the computer to send IR to each receiver independantly, like from two seperate USB-UIRTs. The codes are the same so if it fires off any command both receivers will respond, if they are connected to the same flasher. That's why I'm thinking two tuner cards.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Most IR units that can control two receivers (STBs) do so by using a small directional IR blasters that sre placed in front of the IR reiver locations on the two different locations. By doing this the codes sent are only recieved by a single receiver.

·
Registered
665 Posts
If I understand you issue you want to control a specific Sat device while both share the same IR codes. If this is the case you have a few options:

1. check into some different receivers - mine allow me to have identical boxes with different codes.

2. if you use a front end like cqc or mainlobby - you can get an IR card that can output a specific IR signal to a specific device. Think of IR routing. these cards are expensive (I think around $200).

hope this helps

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig aguiar /forum/post/14304746

The USB-UIRT has one output. my concern is that I have to somehow get the computer to send IR to each receiver independantly, like from two seperate USB-UIRTs. The codes are the same so if it fires off any command both receivers will respond, if they are connected to the same flasher. That's why I'm thinking two tuner cards.

The USB-UIRT actually has the ability to control 3 IR emitters. There is one built into the unit and there is a 3 conductor miniplug on the back that can output to 2 more emitters.

Many people use a sort of electrical tape tent to attach the emitters to the IR sensor on the set top box,covering it completely to stop any IR leaks. I was lucky enough to have an old Directv box that allowed me to change the codes to an alternate set so no electrical tape tents were required. I am controlling 3 different set top boxes with the USB-UIRT and it works fine with Sagetv.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts