AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Rythmik 12LVR that has served me well, but have recently moved and am now looking to get more on the low end through a DIY build. The room is L-shaped, opens to the dining/kitchen, and is relatively large itself. I know multiple ported 18"s would be recommended, but the wife won't accept anything larger than 20"x20"x20", so I'm looking at two sealed 15", ideally using DIYsoundgroup or PE flatpacks.

I'm prioritizing midbass "slam" over extension, but would also like some output down to ~20 Hz. In room, I think a UM15-22 in a 3cu ft sealed cabinet should get me some putput down to (or at least close to) 20 Hz. So the question is whether adding a second UM15-22 in a 3cu ft sealed cabinet or a Eminence Delta-15LFA 15" in a 3cu ft sealed cabinet will give me the best overal response given my desire for solid midbass. I've looked at a number of pro audio 15"s and the Eminence Delta-15LFA seems to work the best in a sealed 3cu ft cabinet, but I'm open to other drivers. I'm also considering two RSS390HOs.

Looking for any feedback the experts here can provide!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd go with 18s, personally. You can to fit an 18" driver into a 20" cube enclosure, provided you pick an appropriate driver. If there's wiggle room in the measurements, an extra inch or two would make your life easier, but 18" drivers are doable given your size constraint.

A 20" cube enclosure (3.5 cu. ft. interior volume before driver and bracing) would be a little small for a UM18-22, but not by a huge margin. It should work fine. The same size enclosure would work well for a RSS460HO-4 too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd go with 18s, personally. You can to fit an 18" driver into a 20" cube enclosure, provided you pick an appropriate driver. If there's wiggle room in the measurements, an extra inch or two would make your life easier, but 18" drivers are doable given your size constraint.

A 20" cube enclosure (3.5 cu. ft. interior volume before driver and bracing) would be a little small for a UM18-22, but not by a huge margin. It should work fine. The same size enclosure would work well for a RSS460HO-4 too.
I appreciate the recommendation, but I would really like to go with flat packs and the 18" flat packs are 23" tall. I just don't think I can get the wife on board with that. Any thoughts on the 15" driver configurations I mentioned?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I appreciate the recommendation, but I would really like to go with flat packs and the 18" flat packs are 23" tall. I just don't think I can get the wife on board with that. Any thoughts on the 15" driver configurations I mentioned?

I'd go with a pair of UM drivers. Easier to setup and integrate than a pair of drivers with dissimilar characteristics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Like yourself i have an L shaped room as well and also recommend 2 drivers for the room modes. I have a pair of UM 15s and had HOs, and recommend both. Your cab size is a tad too small for 18s and is fine for most of the 15s out there. Also since you like mid bass slam, i think the 15s will do a better job. I would recommend the HO as you can get more bass extension in 3cu ft ported unlike the UM in 3cu ft sealed. The UM really needs a stuffed 4cu ft box and sounds boomy in 3cu ft (yes i tried). The HO is also far more efficient than the UM and won't need as much power but its tradeoff is xmax. To my ears the HO sounded better for both music and HT. The UM seems to have this slow and low sound to it suited more so for HT.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.