Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have seen a bunch of the posts on controlling 2 replay/SS devices in one room. However they either refer to using the power on/off solution, a pronto or the RS1994 w/ JP1. I couldn't get the pronto so I opted for the sony about a year ago. At 92 bucks it has a touchscreen and is fully programable except for changing the actual words shown on the screen. I figured good enough and a lot cheaper then the pronto. Anyway, today I lucked into a second showstopper and am interested in controlling both from the one remote without needing to resort to the power on/off solution. Has anyone managed to do this with the 2100? Also, can you program a discreet code for each SS into the 2100, like you could the pronto? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
You can program the 2100 to work the two units, but you will need something to learn from, which is where you will need a Pronto or a JP1-hacked remote.

Without a remote to learn from, you're only option is to use the POWER toggle method.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob,

I will try to get the jp1 hack working. I don't think the pronto is an option.

Chris

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The power on/off thing works much better if you first hack into the claw foot portal and set the HD's to not spin down on power down (instructions in the FAQ, I believe). Otherwise you get an annoying delay. With this done, however, it works just fine. I've been controlling two boxes this way for months now, and it seems that having separate remotes or codes or pages would actually be more trouble, both initially and continually.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Personally, I use the generic version of the code, but I have discrete power codes programmed for each unit and then I have macros that turn one unit off and the other on and also switch the inputs on my Sima, all done very smoothly.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I used to use the power on/off toggle and it worked ok, but then my wife started getting hooked on Replay and always wanted to watch something different in another room. So I switched over to the pronto codes and have loved it ever since.

I always ran into a problem with the power on/off toggle in that sometimes they would get out of sync and I would be watching one and controlling both and would occasionally delete stuff or record unintentional shows on the unit that was being viewed. the pronto solution has worked much better.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The Robman
Personally, I use the generic version of the code, but I have discrete power codes programmed for each unit and then I have macros that turn one unit off and the other on and also switch the inputs on my Sima, all done very smoothly.
Rob I use the complete hacked codes to differentiate but I also use a relay to toggle the IR supply to each unit so only one Replay gets "display" (and IR) at a time. I did it this way in case they rebooted for some reason so they won't latch onto the wrong control code. That's never happened yet with Replays on UPS backups. They still each get their own device on 15-1994. When I run out of room on the remote they could always use the same code with this failsafe IR "gate".

Obviously a single code is better if you have to manually learn each button on the sony remote?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I went the same route, using a relay to gate the I/R to one Replay or the other, along with the SIMA switching of video. This way I do not have to worry about the Replay's loosing their unique codes after re-boot (if only the Replay guys had been able to polish this feature enought to make it stick thru a re-boot). And with my recent modem problems and mandatory re-boots, I'm very happy that I went this way.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Rempalski
I went the same route...
Ed obviously great minds devise alike! And they don't sweat the funds either when they find what they want. I actually owe a lot to Robman too! I've never had more precise control of my racks. I have this client that wouldn't use a 15-1994 because it didn't cost $600. When I was able to demonstrate more function he still wouldn't unless we could remove the Ratshack label from the front. :mad: Could repaint the sucker and loose that silky finish? No way I'd waste a 1994 for that.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by KenL
I have this client that wouldn't use a 15-1994 because it didn't cost $600. When I was able to demonstrate more function he still wouldn't unless we could remove the Ratshack label from the front.
I will gladly program up a 15-1994 for him, and I'll even find a way to sand off the logo, for $600. In fact, for a limited time, I'm even offering a $100 off bonus! :)

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Oh I know Rob ;) I was thinking maybe soak the shell in dye to black out the lettering. He liked the RCU810 better and I had one with pins but without the extender going I wasn't confident I could do all the fancy things he needed. Some people. Anyway he did send away his 8 remotes for 20 days and paid $800 for some solution I haven't seen it but I suspect it was a $600 Pronto with $200 worth of learning. I can guarantee that a 15-1994 would have been more intuitive for his family to use! Sometimes status takes precedent over living... thank goodness we here are enjoying the function too. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
from cmitts
....I couldn't get the pronto so I opted for the sony about a year ago. At 92 bucks it has a touchscreen and is fully programmable except for changing the actual words shown on the screen. I figured good enough and a lot cheaper then the pronto.
Just curious cmitts, where did you get a AV2100 for $97.00?. A used one?. I had to pay the full $179.95 for mine new, and it seems to be that same price everywhere I look (for a new one that is).

Also on another curious note, does anyone know what it is about the, at least with the Replay PVR (don't know about the SS) as to exactly what type of signal it's outputting when it's turned-off (stand-by actually) that's locking up the SIMA SVS-4 A/V SW into thinking it's still receiving a valid video signal input from the Replay PVR when it's actually off (stand-by)?. That's the only thing I hate about routing my Replay through the SVS-4, this characteristic of it "screws up" the auto-input selection feature of my SIMA SW.

And lastly as well as a little of topic, anyone know of a more cost effective solution to split S-video signals (specifically I need to split the one S-video output from my Sat. box three ways). For some reason still many A/V equipment manufacturers while giving you multiple RCA A/V outputs don't seem to have the foresight of others such as DVD player makers to also give you more than one S-video output on their units. Also I'm equally confused as to why more equipment manufacturers

have not developed A/V distribution amps. with multiple S-video outputs instead of just RCA A/V outs. I've only found one recently developed S-video DA by someone called the Video Accessory Corporation at smarthome.com for an (IMHO) outrageous $299.95! :eek: . Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked the unit up at ecost.com, It has been between $91 & $97 bucks for about a year. It was brand new in the box.

Chris

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HoTat2

Also on another curious note, does anyone know what it is about the, at least with the Replay PVR (don't know about the SS) as to exactly what type of signal it's outputting when it's turned-off (stand-by actually) that's locking up the SIMA SVS-4 A/V SW into thinking it's still receiving a valid video signal input from the Replay PVR when it's actually off (stand-by)?. That's the only thing I hate about routing my Replay through the SVS-4, this characteristic of it "screws up" the auto-input selection feature of my SIMA SW.
HoTat2 this is because Replays put out a valid black signal when off. You'll have to use IR triggers w/ SVS-4 to get around that.

Quote:
Originally posted by HoTat2

And lastly as well as a little of topic, anyone know of a more cost effective solution to split S-video signals (specifically I need to split the one S-video output from my Sat. box three ways). For some reason still many A/V equipment manufacturers while giving you multiple RCA A/V outputs don't seem to have the foresight of others such as DVD player makers to also give you more than one S-video output on their units. Also I'm equally confused as to why more equipment manufacturers

have not developed A/V distribution amps. with multiple S-video outputs instead of just RCA A/V outs. I've only found one recently developed S-video DA by someone called the Video Accessory Corporation at smarthome.com for an (IMHO) outrageous $299.95! :eek: . Thanks.
I think the SVS-4 is the best one for that. As a quick work around you can split the Y/C and use 2 $25 plain powered video splitters for each not sure how kosher this is. I'm currently using an old dead Sony Svideo VCR with 2 outputs to do this now as it's only purpose. The reason you can just split is because of impedance and gain type issues - the signal looks like crap if you do. Three is a b**** maybe you could loop some items?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Quote:
from Kenl back on 11/14/01 post 772 to my question about a cost effective way to split an S-Video feed three ways

I think the SVS-4 is the best one for that. As a quick work around you can split the Y/C and use 2 $25 plain powered video splitters for each not sure how kosher this is. I'm currently using an old dead Sony Svideo VCR with 2 outputs to do this now as it's only purpose. The reason you can just split is because of impedance and gain type issues - the signal looks like crap if you do. Three is a b**** maybe you could loop some items?

Last edited by KenL on 11-14-01 at 06:37 PM
Just as an update to my S-Video distribution problem a while back for KenL and anyone else who my be interested. Thanks Ken for the above advice, while I'm familiar with these various break-out solutions I was really hoping to avoid these less than elegant methods to generate multiple S-video outputs. Now THANKFULLY Radio Shack has finally answered my prayers and developed their new 15-1172 video DA for just $39.95 :D (as a replacement for the older 15-1103) which is a 1x4 DA with BOTH RCA and S-Video in/outputs. It will even generate multiple S-Video outputs from a composite input through internal Y/C separation. Needless to say I ordered it immediately. So thanks Radio Shack and not a moment to soon either for I was just about to commit an act of insanity and take a plunge to purchase smarthome's YCVB/VDA 1x4 S-video DA for $299.95! :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.