AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still figuring out the pc side of things and this question is in regards to soundcards, i couldn't find anything in the forums regarding what i wanted to do.

I will have 2 main activities. Gaming and HT. My audio equipment will consist of the following (I'm not buying anything until I move in to my new place): Anthem PVA7, Paradigm Reference Studio 40 (fronts), Studio/CC(center), Studio/ADP (side and rear surrounds)x4, Paradigm PW-2200 (sub). I would like to do things without a pre-amp at first since I don't really have tons of things I need to connect. Movies will come straight from the PC, as will my music. The only external source is my satellite which I will feed through a capture card and use dscaler on.

That said, I want 2 things, the best possible sound card I can get in terms of sound quality for output directly to my pva7 (anyone have suggestions for cables?), but I also need a good gaming card. For gaming I was thinking audigy2. Then for HT/Music, I have the choice of M-Audio Delta 410 and M-Audio 2496. I'm not even sure if those 2 cards are intended for HT use w/o a pre-amp. Meaning do they have the necessary speaker outputs to send 8 discrete signals directly to my amp? I couldn't really figure that out on the website.

There are 2 cards that can do both gaming and 8.1: M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and Terratec Aureon Space 7.1. Anyone have any idea which sounds better? I know the the Revo has bass management and some very nice tweaking options that the terratec doesn't have. Are there any other things I should know about? How does each card fare in regards to gaming (newer ones preferably)?

Last thing, if I'm using an XCapture card with dscaler, how would I hand the audio to the Revo? I read that it doesn't have any internal inputs on the cards, just the external 1/8" line-in.

Anyway, please comment on any of the products mentioned. On further thought, I don't think they the 2496 or 410 are really suitable for my needs, but if you have anything to say about them or I'm wrong, go ahead. If I can use one soundcard, I obviously will. But I'm not sure that I'm convinced that there's 1 product that has everything I want to remove the preamp from my system AND be a top-notch gaming card.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrs91
Then for HT/Music, I have the choice of M-Audio Delta 410 and M-Audio 2496. I'm not even sure if those 2 cards are intended for HT use w/o a pre-amp. Meaning do they have the necessary speaker outputs to send 8 discrete signals directly to my amp? I couldn't really figure that out on the website.
Check the links in my sig for additional details on using an HTPC as a preamp/processor. The initial post in the "Holy Grail" thread has links to other threads that you'll find very relevant/interesting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.