AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i want to know if people who saw rainbows say with an X1 could tell if there were a lot less rainbows say with the benQ 6100 with its supposedly 3 speed color wheel.

I am thinking of buying a projector and have decided on an X1 and being i had never seen one am worried about the whole rainbow issue, and then the benq 6100 came in the picture so probably will go with it, but just needed the info on rainbows being that it could affect me but hope not.

TonKerToy

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
There is an "ultimate rainbow thread" at the beginning of this forum. It should answer most of your questions/concerns. The question of rainbows is both simple and complex.

I can see rainbows on the X1. I could see them just as clearly on a 3X Sharp PG-M20X. And, I can see them on a 5X machine -- though somewhat less pronounced. (I own an LCD because of that).

Get an X1 from someplace that will allow a return. If you can see rainbows and they bother you, you probably shouldn't go DLP at this point in time.

gp

·
Registered
916 Posts
I plan on taking my 6100 to work to compare with a Mitsubishi xd300u which is only 2x. I am going to play the thx test patterns and see if I can tell a difference.

I see rainbows so bad with these test patterns its not funny. I will also play MIB 2 and see if it has changed.

I will let everybody know my results.

Jeff

·
Registered
476 Posts
im sure this thread will be moved soon but saying test an x1 and if it doesnt work for you dlp isnt the way to go isnt really fair. Alot of people who dont see rainbows on other machines see it on the x1. Its a good bases for a test because anything else should be better but to throw out dlp as a solution based on that test isnt really fair.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by velvetpoet
to throw out dlp as a solution based on that test isnt really fair.
Not only is it unfair, it's down right foolish. There are many people who can't stand the X1's rainbows yet are very happy with projectors using the faster 4x/5x wheels. If, however, you can't see rainbows with an X1 I think it's safe to say you won't see them with any pj.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My apology for not stating my point more clearly.

My point is IF you can see rainbows on an X1 and IF they bother you, that you should not buy another DLP machine sight-unseen. I did not state this directly, but I felt it was implied. There is no way you could consider this advise "foolish".

Also, I probably should have stated that it was my personal opinion -- and without supporting evidence -- it should have been taken that way.

gp

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Look up the "ultimate rainbow thread" for more info.

Thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.