AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I added another sub by splitting the LFE.

I calibrated with test tone so that each one is about 75db on the SPL.

Then I turned both on, and found that it was lower than 75db with both playing,

I flipped the phase on one of them, and the dB then got loud, to over 80 easily. So I kept this phase.

Then on the receiver, I turned down the dB level on the LFE signal so that the test tone is at 75db again.

Is this the right way to do it? Thanks in avance.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I am watching this topic with great interest as I am thinking of adding an extra sub also. Not for more volume but, just to see how much more it will fill in not only immeadiate listening area but adjacent open area as well.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Sounds right to me, on mine I just cranked the gains on the subs all the way up and do all the level control on the AVR. If you turned the volume back down so that you are back to 75 dB reference, then you wont have gained any volume, only headroom. Are your subs side by side, or are they separated in the room?

·
Registered
16,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorSignal /forum/post/16915704

I added another sub by splitting the LFE.

I calibrated with test tone so that each one is about 75db on the SPL.

Then I turned both on, and found that it was lower than 75db with both playing,

I flipped the phase on one of them, and the dB then got loud, to over 80 easily. So I kept this phase.

Then on the receiver, I turned down the dB level on the LFE signal so that the test tone is at 75db again.

Is this the right way to do it? Thanks in avance.

You level-matched. It is probably fine but there are compelling arguments for gain matching (setting each sub's gain identically).

However, are these identical subs or not? Because things become more complicated with dissimilar subs. If one of your subs can extend significantly lower than the other and you level-match, then you are only shooting yourself in the foot as far as your extension is concerned.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they are not identical and are small subs 2x6.5" and 1x8" while I wait for my 12" sub. I do this to get the head room. The fact is either of them bottoms out at a certain actual volume. Now each sub do not have to work as hard to produce the same volume that I perceive.

I am sure as far as extension and timber is different if not a bit messed up. But this will work for now until I upgrade.

·
Registered
173 Posts
To get the most assuming theres one up front and one in back is to have one pushing and the back pulling. SVS and auddeysy make the only sub managament unit that will control and blend then in perfect and will blend perfect in every way. Theres more then phaze involved in realy good bass. Check the unit out out if you want complete controls of the subs,

1 - 8 of 8 Posts