AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of athena Audition series speakers, I have the AS-P300 subwoofer. I was considering adding a second woofer of the same brand for a bit more punch.

Or would I be better served getting a better woofer like an SVS?

I plan on adding bass shakers as well either way.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
using 1 or 2 subs you still need good quality ones to get down to 20hz. if yours cannot get down to 20hz then 2 means more problems especially in positioning, phase cancellation elimination etc

this also depends on your room treatment . for big room 2 subs will help but for medium size or small room too much bass will have negative effects

bass should be just right not over or under and this is the hardest part interfacing with your front LCR

·
Registered
410 Posts
You probably won't get too many replies to this because there are good and bad things about both cases.

With two subs, you may run into phase cancellation and placement problems. However, it's easier to eliminate room modes with proper placement.

So there's no real definitive answer as to which is better.

And I'm probably the wrong person to ask because I don't even have a sub!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
get a sub az barber it is a fashion

i just go diy and it is fun experiencing different drivers, amps and cabinets

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, I have one sub in a 16 x 21 foot dedicated room and plan on a second sub ASAP. I am using a Servo-15, not exactly a small piece of hardware ;-). Note that everything is hooked up to an X-30 crossover which will allow me to adjust the sub to work together and cut down the problems. I do not plan any shakers at the Servo-15s go down to 14hz and this adds plenty of shake ;-)...!!!

If you do with a crossover like the X-30, keep in mind that not all subs have defeatable internal electronics. The new Paradigm sub doesn't (as an example) so an x-30 will do nothing for you there.

Good luck!!

Allen

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Get two good subs, and Shakers, or Buttkickers. The advantage (more than added output) is that placing dual subs asymmetrically smooths out standing waves (Russ Hershelman, one of CEDIA's founding fathers) and even provides a better dynamic range (Matthew Polk).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpu8088
get a sub az barber it is a fashion

i just go diy and it is fun experiencing different drivers, amps and cabinets
I've got large cabinet (about the size of a Yugo) with an 18" driver in it. I have thought about doing something with it.

But I have enough bass. Really. I've already had to spend time curing rattles in the house, and my neighbor has mentioned that his windows rattle.

How much more bass do I need?

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
"and my neighbor has mentioned that his windows rattle." I get that a lot too. The true test for righteous bass.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pestario
I have a set of athena Audition series speakers, I have the AS-P300 subwoofer. I was considering adding a second woofer of the same brand for a bit more punch.

Or would I be better served getting a better woofer like an SVS?

I plan on adding bass shakers as well either way.
We got our folks Athena satellite speakers but w/ Athena's best sub, the 10" AS-P400 unit. See if you can return, exchange, or sell your old AS-P300 (e.g. EBay) and then buy a new AS-P400 subwoofer. I don't think adding another AS-P300 will make the sound that much better. It might be louder, but certainly not deeper. And getting another sub (different make/model) to use along w/ your AS-P300 is just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
Luxman 507uXii | Klipsch Forte III | Stereo Rel T7i | 77" LG G1 | Lumin U1 Mini | Denafrips Pontus I
372 Posts
I have also been thinking about this lately. I've got a PDR-12 and want some real low end.

Could you not buy another sub dedicated to going really low, and use your current one to handle the mid/upper bass? I guess you'd have to get some SPL readings to plot it out correctly. Maybe someone with this setup can share their knowledge.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
az barber it is quality not quantity :)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpu8088
az barber it is quality not quantity :)
Actually in my case it is quality *and* quantity.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
And in mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.