AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting everything together for my rebuild of my Maelstrom X and my new HST 18 subs. Would it be better to run a single inuke 6000dsp for these two subs or get 2 inuke 3000dsp's? Not sure if the 6000 lets me EQ the subs separately. thanks.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I am getting everything together for my rebuild of my Maelstrom X and my new HST 18 subs. Would it be better to run a single inuke 6000dsp for these two subs or get 2 inuke 3000dsp's? Not sure if the 6000 lets me EQ the subs separately. thanks.
Not really any difference besides having sperate cases since the 6000 is just two 3000s stuck together

·
Registered
196 Posts
The 6000dsp allows you to eq both channels independently or together, depending on how you configure the amp. You can actually download the software here (zip file directly from behringer's site) and play with it before you get an amp.

I'm curious if 2 3000's would have slightly more in the tank as they wouldn't be sharing a power supply. Wonder if @notnyt will be testing both and be able to show any meaningful differences.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
The 6000dsp allows you to eq both channels independently or together, depending on how you configure the amp. You can actually download the software here (zip file directly from behringer's site) and play with it before you get an amp.

I'm curious if 2 3000's would have slightly more in the tank as they wouldn't be sharing a power supply. Wonder if @notnyt will be testing both and be able to show any meaningful differences.
I'd wager 2 3000s would perform better than 1 6000. The flexibility of running them off of different circuits and having dedicated power supplies is a big deal. Also, the 3000's can run at 2 ohms per channel.

I will be testing both.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I have 5 I Nukes, two 6000 DSP and three 3000 DSP. If there is a slighty benefit, I don't think you will hear it. Also, with 2 subs, EQ them together. That will work better for most people running two subs. I EQ the front pair together and the back pair together. Running 4 subs, I start with a good room respones and not much to do on the EQ.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Not really any difference besides having sperate cases since the 6000 is just two 3000s stuck together
I'm not really sure where this comes from, but while they share similar components in a btl config, I'm pretty sure this is not the case.

Here's the image of an NU4-6000. I'll have to open my nu3000dsp sometime soon and take pics.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
I'd just get 6000. If you do fan mod it voids the warranty. Two 3000 have greater chance of getting an amp that breaks. In the end it's not a big decision as performance would be so similar.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I'd just get 6000. If you do fan mod it voids the warranty. Two 3000 have greater chance of getting an amp that breaks. In the end it's not a big decision as performance would be so similar.
There's no way of knowing you've modded the fan if you put back the original

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll have to see if I need to do the fan mod because all my equipment is located outside my soundproof room. I would imagine I will hear my fans from my dead vents more than the inuke unless its really loud.

Sounds like 1 6000 is the way to go. My HST 18 arrives tomorrow! Now I just need to hurry up and get the theater done.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
There's no way of knowing you've modded the fan if you put back the original
please forgive me if I'm wrong. but I thought the fan had to be cut, or at least tear off the rubber layer that protects the fan plugin for the original, so that was the problem people were running into when needing the warranty

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
please forgive me if I'm wrong. but I thought the fan had to be cut, or at least tear off the rubber layer that protects the fan plugin for the original, so that was the problem people were running into when needing the warranty
You can disconnect the fan from the board and plug in a new fan, no need to modify anything. It's a standard connector.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
You can disconnect the fan from the board and plug in a new fan, no need to modify anything. It's a standard connector.
realllllly? I hand't looked into that in depth since I don't own an Inuke yet, but that was the one thing that was keeping me away since I'm a stickler for warranties... well that makes me feel better about picking up the 6000 for my two UXL's coming up

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
realllllly? I hand't looked into that in depth since I don't own an Inuke yet, but that was the one thing that was keeping me away since I'm a stickler for warranties... well that makes me feel better about picking up the 6000 for my two UXL's coming up
They're hot glued into the connector, but you can just peel that off or pull the entire connector off the board. It's pretty generic.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
They're hot glued into the connector, but you can just peel that off or pull the entire connector off the board. It's pretty generic.
I would suspect that they could probably tell if someone's opened up the amp and swapped out fans, I'm sure there'd be small signs of the amp not being the exact way it left the factory. I speak from experience having done a fan mode on my old iNuke 6000's. The factory fan wires were glued in certain spots, you most likely wouldn't be able to make the glue look the same way once the fan mode was done.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
I would suspect that they could probably tell if someone's opened up the amp and swapped out fans, I'm sure there'd be small signs of the amp not being the exact way it left the factory. I speak from experience having done a fan mode on my old iNuke 6000's. The factory fan wires were glued in certain spots, you most likely wouldn't be able to make the glue look the same way once the fan mode was done.
I think you might be overly paranoid about it.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I think you might be overly paranoid about it.
Not really, I work with industrial automation. Not really the exact same industry but I can assure you if I sent a return to the factory for a RMA on something I sell, they can tell right away if a customer has opened up the product or not and messed around with stuff. I've seen it first hand where they've denied a warranty claim because my customer was messing around with wires thinking they could maybe fix it on their own.

You're right though, maybe that's just me being paranoid. Maybe Behringer doesn't really care if guys are doing fan swaps or not. But I still think they could tell if someone did the swap or not regardless of how careful they were to make it look like everything is still right from the factory floor.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
Not really, I work with industrial automation. Not really the exact same industry but I can assure you if I sent a return to the factory for a RMA on something I sell, they can tell right away if a customer has opened up the product or not and messed around with stuff. I've seen it first hand where they've denied a warranty claim because my customer was messing around with wires thinking they could maybe fix it on their own.

You're right though, maybe that's just me being paranoid. Maybe Behringer doesn't really care if guys are doing fan swaps or not. But I still think they could tell if someone did the swap or not regardless of how careful they were to make it look like everything is still right from the factory floor.
Keep in mind these are made in China. I don't think they're shipping all the RMA units back to China, but they might be. If they do, I don't think those doing the work really care. The QC on these has been poor, and there was a bad batch that I'm sure they're aware of and quick to replace.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'll have to see if I need to do the fan mod because all my equipment is located outside my soundproof room. I would imagine I will hear my fans from my dead vents more than the inuke unless its really loud.

Sounds like 1 6000 is the way to go. My HST 18 arrives tomorrow! Now I just need to hurry up and get the theater done.
I have my Inuke 6000dsp outside my room as well. You won't hear the fan, so you won't have to worry about changing it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Any updates on this question?

I would think two 3000’s are more powerful than one 6000, but I would like to hear opinions from a sound perspective.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts