Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To Dish Network,

I have two suggestions for your 6000, which I have enjoyed considerably.

1) please provide discrete remote control codes for

power on

power off

HD mode

SD mode

each of the screen formats

This would allow people with programmable remotes to manage the Dish 6000. (The best I have come up for power is that "*" turns the Dish 6000 on, but also changes formats. So a macro that sends "*" five times and then sends power toggle will forces the unit off with no other change in state. Sending the power toggle again will force the unit on.)

2) can the OTA signal meter be improved at all. Including the strength as sound pitch would help (as is done for the Sat. meter). Can two or three meters be provided: signal strength versus multi-path strength versus decode ability. Anything that would help people point their antennas would be a big help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'll gladly second all of those! It's amazing to me the number of ce devices that don't have descrete codes for commonly used functions. The 6000's lack of HD/SD modes makes it nearly impossible to reliably program devices like the Pronto to set viewing modes properly.

Don't ce design engineers have programmable remotes?

Regards -- Steve

------------------

STOP DFAST, BOYCOTT JVC, LONG LIVE HDTV

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tommybartels:
To Dish Network,

I have two suggestions for your 6000, which I have enjoyed considerably.

1) please provide discrete remote control codes for

power on

power off

HD mode

SD mode

each of the screen formats

This would allow people with programmable remotes to manage the Dish 6000. (The best I have come up for power is that "*" turns the Dish 6000 on, but also changes formats. So a macro that sends "*" five times and then sends power toggle will forces the unit off with no other change in state. Sending the power toggle again will force the unit on.)
Yes, but this assumes that the Dish box is in HD mode. When it is in SD mode, there are only two "*" formats. Since there are no discrete codes for managing SD/HD as you mention, I don't think you will necessarily get this macro to work without altering the picture format. It's good to know that *-Power will force off, at least. (I just leave mine on all the time, the heck with it.)

I would really like to have the mode and format discrete codes as well. My TV set (Elite 610) also has multiple modes for stretching and zooming, depending on the input source, and it is a pain to try and figure out the best combination of Dish modes and TV modes for any particular program. With discrete codes, I could then work out the best combinations depending on the nature of the broadcast (HD, 4:3, 16:9, etc.) and program the Pronto for each TV channel, knowing what kind of signal and programming is on that channel. Some channels that have a lot of graphics at the top and bottom (like sports, financials) don't do well with some zoom modes as this info gets cropped, so they require a different mode. No way could any visitors to my house figure all this out. (That's why I got the Pronto in the first place!)

------------------

-- Dan Farris

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.