AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently running a single SVS PB10 in a dedicated HT that's 24'x15'. The sub is a worker, to say the least. But, I know bass could be better with more sub. I'm looking to add another PB10, or possibly sell mine and buy something else.

Playing the ignorant card, do you think adding another PB10 would provide a noticeable difference? (Single PB10 is 325 watts, so doubling that...)

Was just curious what you guys thought.

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response!

I should have clarified that I'm trying to stay at a certain price point, hence the reason for asking about the additional PB10. So stacking them, will that be like having a single 650 sub?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Actually, stacking results in closer to 6dB of additional output. Doubling either amplifier power or cone area adds 3dB of output (if stacked). Doubling both results in about 6dB of added headroom. If you put a second PB10 somewhere else in the room you'll be close to 3dB of extra output, along with the benefit of smoother bass response throughout the room.

BTW, I've been in your shoes before and I have to ask what your primary goal(s) is(are). Are you looking for more output? Deeper extension? Better "tightness"? More mid-bass "slam"? These are all things to consider. I've personally owned a single PB10, dual PB10's, and moved on to something bigger altogether so I have a good idea of the options you're looking at. Answering some of those questions as to what exactly you're looking for can help you make a better decision (and give me a better idea as to what I'd personally suggest for someone in your situation).

I will say that adding a second PB10 absolutely makes a difference. It could be that that is all you need to do. However, I did that and ended up wanting more anyway. If you answer the questions I asked above I'll probably have a good idea of whether adding a second PB10 would get you the bass you desire.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/16928363

Actually, stacking results in closer to 6dB of additional output. Doubling either amplifier power or cone area adds 3dB of output (if stacked). Doubling both results in about 6dB of added headroom. If you put a second PB10 somewhere else in the room you'll be close to 3dB of extra output, along with the benefit of smoother bass response throughout the room.

BTW, I've been in your shoes before and I have to ask what your primary goal(s) is(are). Are you looking for more output? Deeper extension? Better "tightness"? More mid-bass "slam"? These are all things to consider. I've personally owned a single PB10, dual PB10's, and moved on to something bigger altogether so I have a good idea of the options you're looking at. Answering some of those questions as to what exactly you're looking for can help you make a better decision (and give me a better idea as to what I'd personally suggest for someone in your situation).

I will say that adding a second PB10 absolutely makes a difference. It could be that that is all you need to do. However, I did that and ended up wanting more anyway. If you answer the questions I asked above I'll probably have a good idea of whether adding a second PB10 would get you the bass you desire.

I DO NOT want to de-rail from helping and focusing on the OP, but when you added the second PB-10 did you co-locate them or sperate them....and what were the effects and your opinions. I know the OP said this is for a dedicated HT, similar to me where my application is 99% HT (in a family room), where IMO deeper extension, greater output, and mid-bass slam is what is wanted.

Imscottr, excuse me if I am clarifying something you already know, but ceiph was saying to buy 1 more PB-10 and stack them. Would that not refer to exactly what is listed as the subject/title...thus staying within budget?

"I should have clarified that I'm trying to stay at a certain price point, hence the reason for asking about the additional PB10. So stacking them, will that be like having a single 650 sub?"

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys - thanks a lot for posting!

lalakersfan34 - nice to know someone was faced with the same thing I am now. I'm looking for more output, I think. I went to a buddies house and he's running an SVS psi 25/31 (I think it's a 12" w/ 525 watts) And it sounded a ton better than mine. For example - the Darla scene when she pecks on the fish tank glass in Finding Nemo - his sub hit really hard, and you could 'feel' it, where as mine on the same scene, does not sound that good. Good, but not that good. I was a little let down when I came home and compared it to mine. So I was thinking, if I bought another PB10, that would give me 2 10" subs, running a combined 650 watts. (As much as I'd like to say I know a lot about this stuff, I don't. I'm still learning.)

Here's my HT build - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=imscottr

deepstang - yea - I'd really like to stay around the $500-$600 mark. That's why I was looking into getting another PB10. (I think they're less than $500 shipped) However, if you guys don't think adding another PB10 will give me the results I'm looking for, I could sell my PB10, and add that to the funds. But I also looked at the possibility of getting the PC12-NSD which is a cylinder sub. Although it's a 12" sub, it's still only running 325 watts. Which is what I'm running at now. Would getting a 12" sub w/ the same watts provide better results?

I don't want to spend too much on a sub, because I'm looking to purchase a new set of speakers for my HT around Christmas. My whole setup is 'entry level', and I think I'm ready to move beyond that a little. Does that make sense?

Thanks again for all your help! It is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I too will be the first to say that I am constantly learning, and by no means should be considered a reliable sourse of information
; however, IMO using watts as the only indicator for sub performance will not give you a good of how a sub performs. A general example is that a ported sub with a 200 watt amp can have more output than a sealed sub (with same size driver) with a 500 watt amp because the ported design is more effecient. Another thing to keep in mind is sub size. Often times subs with larger enclosures will be more effecient and have more output. Everything I am saying is note finite, but generalizations; however, I mention them to let you know that comparing watts is not the best approach in picking a sub.

First, I think it is important to clarify what items are most important to you. As lakersfan34 asked :
Are you looking for more output? Deeper extension? Better "tightness"? More mid-bass "slam"?

From there I am sure more experienced members can provide more info.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepstang /forum/post/16931211

I too will be the first to say that I am constantly learning, and by no means should be considered a reliable sourse of information
; however, IMO using watts as the only indicator for sub performance will not give you a good of how a sub performs. A general example is that a ported sub with a 200 watt amp can have more output than a sealed sub (with same size driver) with a 500 watt amp because the ported design is more effecient. Another thing to keep in mind is sub size. Often times subs with larger enclosures will be more effecient and have more output. Everything I am saying is note finite, but generalizations; however, I mention them to let you know that comparing watts is not the best approach in picking a sub.

First, I think it is important to clarify what items are most important to you. As lakersfan34 asked :
Are you looking for more output? Deeper extension? Better "tightness"? More mid-bass "slam"?

From there I am sure more experienced members can provide more info.

Thanks for posting. I didn't know that about a ported/non ported sub. So good to know about comparing watts. So with that, maybe a single PB12 would be better than two PB10's.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1 /forum/post/16931550

If you sold your PB10 for $300ish and picked up something like an ED A5-350 you would probably get closer to your goal.

I was actually going to suggest EXACTLY that.

IMO to acheive the goals you are looking for, thats the route i would take.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts