AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Sony 34xbr800. I also have a Toshiba 20" flat screen analog TV. I've had the two TVs next to each other (about 8 inches apart) for several months now, and am starting to notice that the geometry on my Sony TV is starting to suffer as a result. The stand for my Sony TV is wider than the TV, so I also have about 6 inches of space on the TV stand on which I can place something.

What can I do to either TV to shield one from the other? Or can I put something between the two to do the shielding?

P.S. If you're wondering why I have this setup, it's because my Sony TV doesn't work with light-gun games on my PS2... :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
it's because my Sony TV doesn't work with light-gun games on my PS2...
Buttonmasher,

If PS2 doesn't output at 1080i, then ignore my posting.

From what I remember about light pens and I assume it's the same for light guns, is that the game console tries to place a marker on the screen and if the light pen picks up a change in intensity of the screen at the same time as the marker is being outputted, then the game console assumes you have properly aimed the light pen (gun).

The Sony XBR800 breaks that synchronization because Sony first places the complete frame in DRC memory and then displays it using a different scan rate which is totally out of step with the incoming signal. This can ultimately cause the scrolling vertical bar bug in 1080i depending on how well the chassis is shielded and how much the sony has to boost weak incoming 1080i video signals.

Only if you can get your game console to always output at 1080i and only if you apply the HDPT patch to the Sony, might you be able to re-synchronize the image on your Sony CRT to the sync pulses of the game console. If the phase difference is minimal, then your gun may work as it would on any ordinary analog TV.

The HDPT patch turns the XBR800 into a pure analog monitor only in 1080i.

To get Sony to install the patch under guarantee, you would have to demonstrate to them that you have the scrolling bar bug.

Else see ADU's thread on Signal paths within the SONY and either patch it yourself or pay someone to patch it.

You don't have to change more than the HDPT parameter while tuned to a RF input in order to quickly establish if the light gun is synchronized. If it is, then you can complete the patch that cleans up the brightness in the different picture modes (VIVID,MOVIE,....)

Let us know if you decide do it and the results.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by buttonmasher

What can I do to either TV to shield one from the other? Or can I put something between the two to do the shielding?

Ive run into this problem before with having two large CRTs next to each other. The best thing to use is Mu Metals . But good luck finding em :D But if you do Please let me know cause Id love to know where to get my hands on some plates.

I use to have a CPD-G400 and a CPD-G500 right next toeach other and they interfered with each other a little bit. I happened to have a large CD rack that was made out of metal. It was really tall and made of two sections. You can kinda see it in This Pic of my old desk setup, there are two of em one behind the other. That actually worked very very well. No idea what kinda metal those CD racks are made of but the shape must stop EM waves very well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by montreal
If PS2 doesn't output at 1080i, then ignore my posting.
The PS2 outputs 480i and can do 480p on a select few games. That's it. Thanks for all the other info though. It was an interesting read.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
The PS2 outputs 480i and can do 480p on a select few games
Buttonmasher,

Next month I will determine if the XBR automatically activates the bypass circuit when viewing 480p.

If it does, then you should be able to use your light gun on games that support the gun and which also cause the PS2 to output in 480p.

Stay tuned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.