AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the last two weeks reading posts and still very confused.

I have posted my equipment under my profile.

My goal is to copy vhs tapes to my pc, enhance PQ and save on DVD disk.

1) Will my pc handle it, and if so, what additional hardware/ software do I need?

2) My Mits wd65000DLP is designed to be used as a computer display capable of xvga with RGB. Will Dscaler still be required?

3) What do I need for copy protected tapes, if anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thank you

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi Lefty2496

First, Your questions are not stupid. They are in line with this forum.

Just be patient. This is the first day after a 3 day holiday and I think

your post has not been noticed yet by those who can provide answers.

I can only answer one of your items with my own experience, which is

the P3-450 cpu may be a little slow for these applications. I had a P3-

500 and had momentary freezes and skips during playback of DVD with

PowerDVD. After I upgraded the M/B, CPU to P3-1000 and 512M of

133 SDRAM both of those problems went away. Sorry but I do not know

about ripping VHS to disk or copy protection. I have not done that, but

I am watching this thread because I have a few I would like to move

to DVD too. So I am interested in the answers too.

DH

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Evening traffic is heavier that daytime on AVS. 30 minutes is not enough time for many responses.

1. I have seen claims that some 300's have been able to do DVD, not sure what hardware was used.

2. Since VHS is 480i, some form of scaling will be required. How do OTA standard broadcast pictures look? That is 480i through the internal scaler.

DScaler would bypass the internal one and "usually" doe a better job. You will not be able to use some of the more power hungry filters with your CPU - 1 GHz P3 or a P4 are needed for those. Most likely you will be connecting the composite out from the VCR to the computer to a video capture card. IO Magic / Pinnecle card is a good cheap one.

3. Don't know. You can try one of the PVR programs to capture the video, but again you will not get DVD quality. It might just be cheaper to just watch those copy protected tapes from the VCR or invest in newer DVD versions of them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Don and JKaiser for your responses, I was concerned that I did not set up my profile properly. Your responses verified all OK. I submitted essentially the same ?s last week with no response.

I suspected I would have to upgrade processor speed, but thanks to your response I don't have to change out the MB. I'll just upgrade to 1 GHz.

I'll check out the capture board recommended and the software.

Thanks again.

Lefty

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you Don and JKaiser for your responses, I was concerned that I did not set up my profile properly. Your responses verified all OK. I submitted essentially the same ?s last week with no response.

I suspected I would have to upgrade processor speed, but thanks to your response I don't have to change out the MB. I'll just upgrade to 1 GHz.

I'll check out the capture board recommended and the software.

Thanks again.

Lefty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.