AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys, here's one for you. I'm looking at an Aperion system with two choices for SW configurations in a medium sized room.

The first is dual 533-PT towers with built-in powered 8" subs. Specs are 30Hz, 150W Continuous, 240W Max.

The second option is more conventional with two 533-T mains and a separate S-10 10" powered SW. Specs on it are 25Hz, 200W Continuous, 350W max.

Here's the question, which would put out more ooomph for HT? Two 8" at 150W or the single dedicated 10" with 200W?

Obviously, the integrated towers limit my ability to play much with SW placement and I'd be loosing 5Hz. Any opinions?

·
Premium Member
8,820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace14 /forum/post/0

OK guys, here's one for you. I'm looking at an Aperion system with two choices for SW configurations in a medium sized room.

The first is dual 533-PT towers with built-in powered 8" subs. Specs are 30Hz, 150W Continuous, 240W Max.

The second option is more conventional with two 533-T mains and a separate S-10 10" powered SW. Specs on it are 25Hz, 200W Continuous, 350W max.

Here's the question, which would put out more ooomph for HT? Two 8" at 150W or the single dedicated 10" with 200W?

Obviously, the integrated towers limit my ability to play much with SW placement and I'd be loosing 5Hz. Any opinions?

Hi

I would probably skip the built-in subs and go with the separate sub.

All the Best

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Neither wattage nor driver size will answer your question. There are too many other design factors to consider. It's a safe bet, though, that a quality dedicated sub will "put out more ooomph for HT" than the ones built into the towers, although many would prefer towers for pure music use.

You'll probably get a lot of suggestions for alternatives. Aperion subs don't generate a lot of buzz on this forum, but the S-10 got a fine review on CNET and seems a valid contender in its price range. In any case, I definitely recommend a separate sub for HT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.