AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi DIY Experts,

I am a beginner in the DIY world, no experience what so ever.

I intent to build 2 x 18" DIY Passive Subwoofers, to be place at left and right corner (front or rear) of my Home Theater.

I really need heart pounding BASS!

I have had some good branded 15" active Subwoofers, and I feel they sound not as ugly (good) as those Subs in car audio, sorry no offend.

Let me start by asking:

1. What is the best 18" Subwoofer I can get for total budget of $1,500 or below (for 2 subs) ?

2. Or should I go for just one much better Subwoofer for $1,500 instead of two?

3. How and where can I get good DIY Subwoofer BOX in loose Kit, not built (not in a box form, need to be assembled) ?

All inputs and suggestions are welcome.

Many Thanks.

·
Registered
4,421 Posts
Where are you from? Your english is a little different, not impossible to understand, but definitely different.

Ok, so dual 18's, or, your $1500 budget rather, you have a lot of options.

First of all, are you willing to go with a ported box? If so, how big? an 18" sub in a ported enclosure can easily be 20 cubic feet. If you want a small sealed sub, the TC Sounds LMS 5400 is pretty much the best sub out there for sound quality. You will need a very powerful amp for it, at least 3000 watts, but it would be extremely powerful and have tons of ultra low end extension.

·
Registered
6,147 Posts
have you done a search of this subforum to see the multitude of threads on dual subs or even single subs? there are plenty of options for you there. My recommendation is spend a couple of hours just browsing over some of the build threads over the past 6 months or so and you will quickly run into builds of:

* 15" and 18" large low tune EBS sonotubes

* 15" and 18" sealed cubes

* 15" (and now 18") dual large low tune EBS boxes

* ported 15"

* dual opposing 15" sealed (dual 18" would work even better)

etc etc

there are just about as many options out there for you. You have plenty of drivers (RL-P15 and 18, TC2000 and 3000, LMS5400, adire tumult 15, mach IXL, Ficaraudio Q18, lucky enough to get an ascendand audio Avalanche 15 or 18, etc. etc), plenty of amps and EQ options, even more design options.

Spend a little time browsing this subforum while you wait to get feedback on this thread....you will have some good ideas on your own by then as well

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
When you say heart pounding bass, do you mean for music or for the Low Frequency Effects in movies? Both? How big is your listening room? What sort of mains will you be using for the remainder of the frequency spectrum?

Do you have an area to backvent an Infinite Baffle? An adjacent room, an attic, a basement, a crawl space?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
If you have adequate space behind a wall or an attic above your ceiling, you should really consider an IB sub solution.

edit.....Just saw HT's post saying the samething...nevermind

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I have a 17 x 27 ft, 10 ft ceiling. A full dedicated HT room.

I have a full range of ASCEND Acoustics 7 Speakers system, 2 subs: 1 SVS and 1 Velodyne both are active subs.

I feel the low bass is not powerful enough.

It sound good but lack of power.

I intended to add the third Hsu sub, then I think I better try to add a DIY sub, which is interesting and also challenging to do.

So here I am to get any information I can get.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/0

A pair of 18" sealed subs would be totally rockin.

But you will short change yourself on power if you stay in that $1500 budget.

-Eli

·
Registered
1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanrs /forum/post/0

What will you suggest Eli ?

Assuming you do not want to built HUGE enclosures, I would suggest 2 good 15" drivers (either TC2000s or these http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=845955 ) and put each one in their own low tuned ported enclosure. Power each one with its own BKA1000 or EP2500. Depending on how much you spend on your enclosures you may have money left for an eq as well.

IMHO, that is about the best you can do and stay under $1500.

-Eli

·
Registered
5,642 Posts

Quote:

Well, I have a 17 x 27 ft, 10 ft ceiling. A full dedicated HT room.

I have a full range of ASCEND Acoustics 7 Speakers system, 2 subs: 1 SVS and 1 Velodyne both are active subs.

I feel the low bass is not powerful enough.

I intended to add the third Hsu sub, then I think I better try to add a DIY sub, which is interesting and also challenging to do.

So here I am to get any information I can get.

Thanks

You know, you should check out KGVeterans "out subbing your mains" thread. I am not suggesting you shouldn't go the DIY sub route with two 18s, but maybe you should consider some assistance in the 80-200Hz range (or thereabouts) for your Ascends.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
Four fiCar audio q18 subwoofers tuned for IB with two used pro amplifiers from eBay and a Rane Pe17 equalizer (or a Behringer BFD) will be within that $1500 budget and will rock your world like you would not believe if you can do an Infinite Baffle.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Quote:

Thanks Guys!

Is there any additional useful links that I can learn more step by step how to build a DIY speakers/Subwoofers from scrap ?

Well usually you just need to decide on a driver and how big of a box you can live with....... or if you don't want a box at all.

Then tell us, someone models it and in a day or two we can give you guidelines on how to make the sub. You cut some things, glue somethings, and connect some wires.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
What about THIS one? Looks pretty good in Winisd, if you're not concerned with a huge enclosure if you go ported.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
1 SVS and 1 Velodyne both are active subs. I feel the low bass is not powerful enough.

Actually imo it would be best to sell the works and build two like subs. Your working against yourself by mish-mashing subs. I do understand the concept though. Considering the 15" drivers that are being suggested are close to a couple of 12"s (more factoring the limitless enclosure design) you would have way more headroom and extension. The 18" drivers are that much more.

A good ported or sealed enclosure isn't that hard to build. Granted it does take a few tools... if you were to open up many subs and take a peak, you would see they're not as complicated as some might think. No to little lining and no to little bracing. Yip!.. we're talking a wood box with lining and bracing
we even have a habit of doubling up and doing two layers, mmmaybe three on the baffle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.