AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was looking to change services from D* to another HDTV provider. They wanted me to sign a 2 year commitment and agree to a cancellation fee if I canceled. When did this happen?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdailey23 /forum/post/17021936

I signed up for Dish 4 years ago and had to sign a 2 year commitment...it really isnt anything new. Most Cable companies dont make you sign an agreement, but Dish, DTV and Verizon usually do.

Cable companies can sometimes require a commitment if they are offering a too good to be true" level deal or combo package.

Comcast is asking for 2 yrs for it's Triple Play package in some markets.

·
Banned
1,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker1 /forum/post/17022071

Wow two year commitment. Geez. Comcast gave me a six-month $40 per month discount, and didn't even require me to agree to stick with them the whole six months if I didn't want to.

And your point is what exactly?????

Some providers want a commitment, others don't. The OP didn't even bother to mention which providers he was thinking of switching to.

I did a two year commitment to Fios. I'm sure you'll have a problem with that that will lead to bickering.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankyrir /forum/post/17021739

so I was looking to change services from D* to another HDTV provider. They wanted me to sign a 2 year commitment and agree to a cancellation fee if I canceled. When did this happen?

Welcome to 1995.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Doesn't Dish still have the non-commitment option? I never had one when I signed up 4 years ago.

I know they still had it up 'till not all that long ago. The only thing was, you wouldn't quite get the same deal.

·
Registered
990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysam /forum/post/17022606

And your point is what exactly?????

Some providers want a commitment, others don't. The OP didn't even bother to mention which providers he was thinking of switching to.

I did a two year commitment to Fios. I'm sure you'll have a problem with that that will lead to bickering.

why do you think fios is better than comcast, i'm trying to make decision

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rviele /forum/post/17023460

why do you think fios is better than comcast, i'm trying to make decision

Fiber has more bandwidth for starters, that leads to more HD content with no need to over compress it.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano /forum/post/17023039

It was a 1 year commitment back then for D*. The two year commitments started with the mpeg4 equipment did it not?

No, I had a two year on my HR10-250 when I got it a few years back. They added it with the HD equipment some time back.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 /forum/post/17025430

No, I had a two year on my HR10-250 when I got it a few years back. They added it with the HD equipment some time back.

I only had a 1 yr commitment with the HR10-250 but you had to BUY it. They went to a 2 year when they started LEASING I think. Perhaps they started leasing the HR10's at the end of their reign. I didnt have a 2 year one until I went to an HR20 when it first came out in 2007.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
I bought mine too, would need to go back and verify but I'm pretty sure it was two years. I think they changed their policy at some point that any "advanced" equipment required 2 years, advanced being HD and/or DVRs.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
If you want a $0-$199 DVR on either satellite provider, you're required to sign a two-year contract. Both providers heavily subsidize the equipment in exchange for that two-year commitment.

If you are willing to pay full price for all the equipment (i.e. $500 for the DVR and dish), then you can avoid the commitment on Dish Network. I'm not sure whether DirecTV offers the same option. Dish Network won't let you take advantage of any programming discounts without a commitment.

Verizon FiOS joined the commitment game as well. You can get FiOS without a one-year commitment, but then you have to pay a hefty premium on service. You'll pay $85/mo for FiOS Internet + FiOS HD Extreme with a one-year commitment, or $118/mo for the same service without a commitment. CableCard and HD STB/DVR rentals are extra.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/17029248

No different than signing up with a cell phone plan.

Actually it is a little different. On my cell phone they restart the commitment whenever I change plans. For example I changed from 1000 included minutes a month to 1500 and it restarted my commitment. On Dish Network they only restart your commitment if you get actual hardware. Any package changes do not restart your commitment. They discussed this on a Dish Network Charlie Chat a few months ago.

Rick R

1 - 20 of 20 Posts