AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been done before (or something close to it.)

But I'm gonna do it anyway.

If you had $20,000 to spend, and had to purchase all of the below, what would you buy?

Preamp/Processor

Amplifier(s)

7.1 speaker setup --- should be a good quality match to other components

Don't consider the cost of wiring it all up! ;)

Let's say the processor at a minimum should handle Pro Logic, Dolby Digital, DTS, THX EX, DTS ES (discrete and matrix) ... PLII would be nice.

Have fun!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Revel performa m20, c30, s30, s30, b15 (12k)

(Cinepro 3k6se gold, (6k)

Bryston Sp-1 ($3k)

Audioquest Clear, Argent, Crystal(used)

My current sys is a lexicon dc1 v4.00 with kilpsch klf-10,

boston VR14thx, Infinity Rs-8

I am going m20, c30, s30, b15,

·
Registered
2,803 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
I would just like to make a statement that I think gets lost sometimes when we speak about chosing equipment. Speakers are only as good as the listening room. I have heard extremely expensive systems sound like am radios because the acoustics of the room were awful. So, my suggestion would be to spend enough money to get your room properly treated and then spend what's left on equipment. While this isn't the sexiest way to spend, I think it's definitely the smartest. Once you have a properly treated room you can never go back to listening without one.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by avdoc
I would just like to make a statement that I think gets lost sometimes when we speak about chosing equipment. Speakers are only as good as the listening room. I have heard extremely expensive systems sound like am radios because the acoustics of the room were awful. So, my suggestion would be to spend enough money to get your room properly treated and then spend what's left on equipment. While this isn't the sexiest way to spend, I think it's definitely the smartest. Once you have a properly treated room you can never go back to listening without one.
AMEN!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I'd have to agree that the room is an important factor in sound, but at the same time I would have to assume that someone spending 20k on a system is probably going to have a dedicated room, and stretching it a little further, one that may have decent accoustics.

If not, I'd go with low cost room sound treatments, such as thick curtains, carpet, and maybe some books on a bookshelf as a diffusor. I might spend some on bass tube trap if the room requires.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Ok this is my current wish list:

Processor:Tag McLaren AV32EX

Amps: Proceed HPA series (7 channels worth)

Speakers: Revel F30 mains,C30 center, M20's or S30's side/rears, and B15 Sub.

Since it's the same dealer I would buy all of it it from maybe the package discount will bring it in at around $20K.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I'm not sure on the brands that I would buy at that price level, but I would probably break it out like this:

2k room treatment

14k speakers

2k amps

2k pre/pro

This may sound unbalanced to some, but I think it is the best way to start a system. Amps, preamps, etc are much easier to sell and upgrade than speakers are... not to mention that they will make more of a difference in sound than amps will too.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I agree with the above about the room etc.

So I would get a TACT RCS first.

Speakers are individual but my choice would be used Wilson WATT 3s and a pair of good subs for the fronts. Entec comes to mind but SVS or Velodyne might also do.

Then I would get a great sub for LFE/deep bass. Again Velodyne/SVS or DIY seems the goods. With a Behringer Feedback Destroyer for EQ.

Two more pairs of Wilsons for the surrounds would be nice, but two pairs of Acoustic Energy AE-1s would be cheaper.

Then I would get a Meridian 561 processor, as it has digital outs to go to the TACT so everything stays in the digital domain.

And I put my money where my mouth is as Meridian aside this is my current system.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
142 Posts
1 B & W HTM-1 center speaker $1800

2 B & W CDM 9 NT main speakers $2200

4 B & W CDM 7 NT surrounds $6000

2 Interlude 10" IL-100 subs $800

1 Bryston 6B ST 3 channel amp $3000

2 Bryston 4B ST 2 channel amps $3000

1 Anthem pre amp AVM-20 $3200