AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this in my email box yesterday.

ReplayTV® PC Edition 20/20 offer


ReplayTV® is pleased to announce a 20/20 offer for ReplayTV® PC Edition, the Ultimate DVR experience for your PC.


ReplayTV® PC Edition 20% Off

Download, try and activate ReplayTV PC Edition by February 27th and get 20% off the regular price of $99.95.


Use coupon code ******* at checkout.


Get a free 30-day trial today and turn your PC into the Ultimate DVR*.


Need a Tuner? Get $20 Off

Purchase a Hauppauge WinTV®-PVR 150 or WinTV®-PVR USB2 model tuner by January 31st and get a $20 rebate direct from Hauppauge. See what you need to get started .



Thanks,

The ReplayTV Team

Methinks they might be having a hard time selling this package...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
Same thoughts here, Replay didn't drop the ball, the ball isn't even on the same planet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
It's actually quite pathetic. It isn't as though a bunch of premadonna's on AVS are unrealistically bashing a product. This thing really is as pathetic as it looks.


I just wonder if they are going to try and release a real product down the road (version 2?) or if they'll just give up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
238 Posts
I got that too..


Lessee... 20% off $99 worth of crappy software.. and $20 off a $90 card that would replace an existing card that works just fine for every other piece of video software... I don't think so.


If they gave me the software, and it worked with my existing card, I'd be hard pressed to give it a try... and I'm the type of guy that likes to try new things and have the newest gadgets and software to show off to my friends.. I wonder what their target audience is!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
i got same email and had same thought .ive been doing some research on replay boards and it seems not to have gone over real big maybe theyll go back to stand alones? i have three and i recomend them to everyone that mentions tivo had one of them too got rid of it.they need to advertise word fo mouth just wont do it .thanks for letting me ramble .pat
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcrane /forum/post/0


I just wonder if they are going to try and release a real product down the road (version 2?) or if they'll just give up.

i bet they give up. they'll say something like "see, we tried to come out with something new, but it just lost us money"...which in reality, if they would listen to their users (the people that will actually use and recommend their product(s)), they would see that their ReplayTV PC software is a joke of a product.


we all, collectively, want 1) HD support and 2) legacy support for interaction with existing hardware. i gotta figure there are thousands of RTV 4xxx and 5xxx owners that would upgrade to a standalone unit that has those features...HD on the PC can be a little difficult to set up from what i've heard, which is why i mentioned a new standalone instead of updates to the PC software.


sturmie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Replay? Give up? They've done it before.


For $160 shipped I bought the Sage HD package: Software license, OTA HD tuner, and remote. And no $20 guide update fees. figuring the tuner and remote are worth $110 so I got the software license for $50.


My wife and I wanted a replay interface for our HD PVR. But I wanted it before I died. I'd give up legacy support... in fact... I did give up legacy support by buying Sage
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
It's just a shame that Replay is finally owned by a company with a lot of money behind them and this is the best they could come up with. Why are they so clueless? Don't some of their emplyees read and/or respond to posts on these boards?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
My only guess is they are trying to enter a market they know nothing about. They understand the high-end audio market. What level of quality they must have, how to make a profit on such a high priced, narrow market item.


Then they try and service a market on the lower end, in video no less, and fall apart.


When they were building a standalone high-end DVR (that never made it to market) they didn't offer HD support either.


WHO WOULD BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT HD SUPPORT AT THIS POINT? Tivo and Replay have pretty much explored everything that can be done SD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
I would even buy it if it were merely a mildy enhanced version of dvarchive (spec=whatever) with the double select bug fixed in the Replay, and if they promised me that some day in the distant future they would support HD (even if they didn't)


If I were them;


500,000 units x $40 = 20,000,000 (revenue from installed base at $40 each)

Buy dva from Gerry

Upgrade cost (probably also to Gerry or other geniuses)

Admin,mktg,support

Net 15,000,000

========


I made up the numbers, but conceptually I don't know why they didn't do something like this


Once that revenue stream gets rolling and before it gets tapped out, plow back the profits into development to enable the PC to operate as a webisode collector, itunes like distribution hub, etc, etc, etc. Get revenue contracts from blockbuster, et all to distribute full DRM protected content through the Replay network described above in a play once or twice mode.


They are still in this game with a name, but fading fast.


For now, I love my 5xxx units, use them every day and that won't change. I will always why it didn't go a different way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
I imagine the competiton from Motorola, Scientific Atlanta, and even TiVo is too great to go into the standalone HD DVR market. The first two sell directly to cable companies wholesale in the USA and cater to relatively unknowledgeable home users who are the majority. I doubt there's a big demand for an HD ReplayTV in India or China.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,038 Posts
It's NOT "replay TV" if it does not connect to other REPLAY TV UNITS!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohns /forum/post/0


It's NOT "replay TV" if it does not connect to other REPLAY TV UNITS!

Oh come on. I was a ReplayTV 2000 and SS owner prior to purchasing 5Ks. They were and are GREAT machines. The software on the 2000, 3000 and SS was much more stable than the 5Ks even those there was no networking. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the networking in the 5Ks but I really hate the maintenance reboots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
124 Posts
Dear DNNA, if you'd like to make some money off of the ReplayTV base, forget the ReplayTV software and sell us "Service Pack 1" for our existing 5xxx series boxes.


I don't care about HD, but I'd happily pay $25 each to upgrade my eight boxes to the potential promised when we bought our units.


I want to see all decks in a unified grid. (the "hive mind")

I want to be able to delete old record settings from any deck.

I want to see available space when I set up a recording on a remote deck.

I want to be able to save my setups from one deck and have all the other decks use that set-up instead of having to set them up one at a time. (and to save multiple set-ups for those that move decks from place to place)

I want previous searches to pop up when you start to enter them again and to do a better job with partial matches.

I want you to fix the double select bug and turn on the USB port.

I want to be able to hide the category "all shows"

I want to record FM radio/internet radio and stream MP3.

I want to prepare a file for recording to DVD.

I'd like the decks to have a simple html interface so all the setup could be done from a PC on the LAN. And this would allow for real time access to decks over the Internet so we (and you) wouldn't have to mess with MyReplayTV anymore.

I want there to be a simple open format so the user base can make new code sets for the IR blaster and serial port as new tuners from other companies come on the market. (ie for controlling cable boxes and HD tuners)

In fact the more you can expose the code or at least built simple interface to it, the more we'll do your work for you and keep the boxes up-to-date through the close of the analog era.


I know much of this is available as 3rd party solutions, I think I've tried them all. Some are OK, some are teriffic, but nothing beats having the features built right into the deck.


-John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHeller /forum/post/0


Dear DNNA, if you'd like to make some money off of the ReplayTV base, forget the ReplayTV software and sell us "Service Pack 1" for our existing 5xxx series boxes.


I don't care about HD, but I'd happily pay $25 each to upgrade my eight boxes to the potential promised when we bought our units.


I want to see all decks in a unified grid. (the "hive mind")

I want to be able to delete old record settings from any deck.

I want to see available space when I set up a recording on a remote deck.

I want to be able to save my setups from one deck and have all the other decks use that set-up instead of having to set them up one at a time. (and to save multiple set-ups for those that move decks from place to place)

I want previous searches to pop up when you start to enter them again and to do a better job with partial matches.

I want you to fix the double select bug and turn on the USB port.

I want to be able to hide the category "all shows"

I want to record FM radio/internet radio and stream MP3.

I want to prepare a file for recording to DVD.

I'd like the decks to have a simple html interface so all the setup could be done from a PC on the LAN. And this would allow for real time access to decks over the Internet so we (and you) wouldn't have to mess with MyReplayTV anymore.

I want there to be a simple open format so the user base can make new code sets for the IR blaster and serial port as new tuners from other companies come on the market. (ie for controlling cable boxes and HD tuners)

In fact the more you can expose the code or at least built simple interface to it, the more we'll do your work for you and keep the boxes up-to-date through the close of the analog era.


I know much of this is available as 3rd party solutions, I think I've tried them all. Some are OK, some are teriffic, but nothing beats having the features built right into the deck.


-John

I'm not sure what's funnier...DNNA thinking their approach for that software they tout was actually viable and valuable, or you thinking that you can get all of what you ask for at only $25 a box and still turn DNNA a profit.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top